Local "what's in season" calendar?

Anyone know of a calendar that lists what available crops are ripe when in the Valley? I mean items that one would possibly find growing in a public place, or perhaps from an overhanging branch.

Something like this (I just estimated the dates - feel free to correct me and add stuff!)

[ List removed - see attached PDF ]

PHX_forage.pdf

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pecan- Just in time for Thanksgiving Pecan Pie! mid to late november. :)
  • i had written down a similar list, but hadn't thought to share it online.

pecans (winter)
    figs (july-aug)
    citrus (winter)
    pomegranates (late fall/winter)
    goosefoot/lamb's quarters (spring)
    amaranth (summer)
    prickly pear/nopales/nopalitos
    prickly pear cactus fruit
    cholla fruit
    mesquite pods (june/july)
    lycee berries (spring)
    malva neglecta (winter/spring)
    carob (early summer)
    dates
    russian thistle/tumbleweed (spring?)
    wild mustard, london rocket (spring)
    olives
    jojoba nuts (early summer?)
    • i didn't realize my partner was logged in. this was actually my list, not that it really matters. but he probably has his own slightly different list.

by the way, i had been occasionally eating what i thought was purslane: Portulacca oleracea or some form of Portulacca, but i found out it is actually not in the same genus at all, and is sometimes called horse purslane. i read that there's disagreement about whether it's edible. i felt no ill effects, but since some native folks have said it's not edible, it makes me wonder. anyone know?
    • I've been eating it almost every day, approx. 20 leaves at a time and I've never felt sick. At first it seemed to activate the bowels a little, but I read that it was a side effect. I have a lot to learn so any information someone can provide on this would be much appreciated.
    • Huh. How bout that?

Now you have me curious about what we have growing. I gotta say, it looks like horse purslane (on the left, with the rounded leaves):

2915832199_e9d60a7cce.jpg

I ate some, and come to think of it, I did get a little queasy. But hard to say if it was from that, as I ate other things with it. However, I'll have to do further research, and in the future, treat it with caution.
    • yeah, the one with the rounded leaves, which is nice and succulent like purslane is a different plant. the book i read about this in had to be returned to the library and i don't have the title on me. i couldn't find anything online when i searched by the latin name of the plant the book gave. i will try to get the information again. or maybe someone out there has some information.
  • oh but Chris....the torte is amazing...so, after the peach cobbler...then the torte :-)....i actually froze one for a month -pulled it out the other day...and it was AWESOME......

enjoy your baking! lylah
  • I was mainly thinking of this as a foraging guide. I've had my eyes peeled wherever I go, mentally-noting what fruits I see. But as a n00b-forager, I've run into problems.

For instance, I read about making nocino from green walnuts. When I found a bunch in Oak Creek Canyon, I gathered all I could. When I tried to cut them up, the nut in the center was rock hard. Apparently they need to be gathered in early Summer, when the nut is still soft.

In fact, if people get a lot of use out the Valley version, I don't see why a Northern Arizona version wouldn't be a nice addition. Things like wild blackberries, lambs quarters, fiddleheads, and such could be on that one.

Anyway, if I ever manage to gather enough of anything to actually make something, I'd be happy to add some pics and recipes. I do have about a quart of figs that I'm taking with me when I see my mom in Santa Fe. She's been dying to make goat cheese stuff figs, wrapped in prosciutto.
    http://soft.In/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
    • now i'm into the goat cheese stuffed figs wrapped in prosciutto....i'm drooling...

i so want goats in my scottsdale hoa...think i could? just kidding....back in the day, i used to raise dairy goats and long to have a few now....one day...ahhh...
This reply was deleted.