Local "what's in season" calendar?

Anyone know of a calendar that lists what available crops are ripe when in the Valley? I mean items that one would possibly find growing in a public place, or perhaps from an overhanging branch.

Something like this (I just estimated the dates - feel free to correct me and add stuff!)

[ List removed - see attached PDF ]

PHX_forage.pdf

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I figured it was more recognizable than Salsola tragus or Russian thistle.

I think might end up added harvesting and preparation tips. But that would push it to two pages.
    • If I can find my old foraging book I will send some more updates
    • Excellent!

I'm currently reading Coming Home to Eat, by Gary Paul Nabhan, and it's been a surprise information source for local foraging. That's where I got the info on yucca flowers.
    • Heya GS - I recall the Master Gardeners had a foraging calendar. I'll have to check the archives. I'll post an update later this week.
      (crazy 20ft apricot tree on NorthernAve just east of 15AVe on south side - piles on the sidewalk, yeah, piles).
      - VYNNIE
      Central Phoenix
    • Thanks for the tips! I'll check out that apricot tree tomorrow. I have a crazy huge craving for some apricot jam.

A neighbor of mine has front yard apricot and peach trees -- mostly out of reach from the sidewalk. So I left them some prickly pear syrup and a note offering to trade some product for ingredients, but never heard back. :c (

BTW I replied to your question regarding the tomato seeds, over in that thread.
  • At last, I finally have version one of the calendar done. Let me know if you have any suggestions, edits, additions, etc.
  • I was going through old threads and found this. Did you finish your foraging list?? If not here is an Item to add.

Palo verde Tree Beans are awesome in Chili. and They are available around June. The best way to use them is fresh. They are very difficult to use once dried. I uses to pick and freese them . I have not been out in a few years to forage for them but they are tasty.
    • The dry palo verde beans are easy to mill into flower with a hand mill. I have mixed the palo verde flower with wheat flower and made very good pancakes and bread.
    • Thanks for the tip! I had no idea they were edible.

No, I never got around to finishing it. I should go ahead and do that, since lots of things should be coming into season soon.
  • Carob ripens both early summer and late summer, depending on the tree. There are two carob trees in my neighborhood and one is ready to pick in June and the other one in August/September (right now actually!) Yum. I've seen a lot of dates now also bagged to keep the birds off them before harvest, meaning they are ripe. Mesquite has two seasons, like the carob, early summer and late summer. Actually, my screwbean mesquite put out pickable pods 2 months ago and there is a second harvest ready now. You just have to watch the mesquite and carob trees in the summer. Also the citrus harvest can vary depending on the variety.
This reply was deleted.