Because sparrows are eating my hen's feed almost faster than I can fill it (the feeder is in their coop/run, but the door is left open so they can free range), I've decided a treadle feeder might be the only solution. I saw on this site that Western Ranchman has them for $60, so I called them and they said they don't have them any more. The person who was making them for has stopped making them for some reason and they need to find another supplier. I've also called the Stock Shop, Pratt's and the Feed Barn. None of them have them. The Stock Shop said they do carry them but are currently out of stock and would be a week or more until they get them, plus there's cost over $90 but hold about 25 lbs of feed. Pratt's and the Feed Barn don't carry them at all. I'm on the West side so didn't call any other feed shops. I checked on Craigslist and Ebay, and only saw plans to make them being sold. Anyone know where I can find a treadle feed without having to make one or wait over a week to get one? Or does anyone have any other solution to keeping sparrows out of the feed? The only other thought I had was a doggie door/flap style door on the coop. I've heard chickens can learn to use them. Or a UK supplier, triggerhappychickens.com, sells a trigger feeder that's works like the nipple waterer, and is installed on the bottom of a bucket. 

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.