Hello All,
I am looking for any advice you might have for how to treat coccidiosis and tapeworm. I know definitively that one of my hens is struggling with both of these issues, as the vet ran a culture that came back positive for both. I bought some Cocci-Rid (amprolium), but am unsure how to administer it most effectively. I think I should treat all my 6 of my birds, at this point, but worry about how to keep this stuff from coming back. My birds are free-range, but we are in the process of building them a confined space, as I have grown weary of spraying massive amounts of poo off the patio every morning. I also read that tapeworm is more common with free-range birds. I read that Valbazen is the best treatment for tapeworm, but have been unable to locate any locally. I am open to any and all advice at this point. My girl has had this for a long time, I'm afraid. She's eating and drinking and walking around, but she looks terribly thin and mangy. Thanks in advance for your comments...

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm surprised your vet confirmed the tapeworms but didn't tell you what to do about it. Out of curiosity, how much did the vet charge for the diagnosis?

I would treat all of your birds. I think the cocci-rid is a powder that you mix in with the feed isn't it? The directions should tell you how much to mix in per pound of feed and for what duration of time.

There are currently no approved poultry meds for tapeworms. That said, often it's because there isn't enough demand for the drug companies to warrant the tests needed for approval. Valbazen should do it, just be sure to scale down for the weight of your bird. There are probably backyardchicken.com posts that can help you do this.

http://backyardchicken.com/
    • Is it necessary to discard all eggs that may be laid while these meds are being administered or are they still safe for consumption?

• I should have taken my girl to the vet earlier than I did. When I finally did, it was because she wouldn't get off the nest, and she hadn't laid an egg in 3 days, which is unusual for her. The vet found a broken egg in her, and ran a fecal cult after he removed it. I called 6 different vets before I found one who would see my chicken. A couple of the ones I called said they used to see chickens, but they no longer do. This vet, while he may not be a chicken expert, agreed to see her right away and did a good job, in my opinion. I am using the dosing instructions on the cocci-rid and looking for some valbazen. If I can't locate any, I will get some Zimectrin Gold, per the instructions of several posters on backyardchickens.com. Thanks for your reply, Rachel. I hope I can protect all my chickens, and keep the worms and the coccidiosis at bay, as I know you can't completely get rid of either one. I'll start worming my chickens on a schedule, now. I've found that the learning curve for keeping chickens is a steep one. I hope I don't kill any of my chickens while I'm still learning.

• Have you tried Walco in Chandler for the Valbazen?  They carry many veterinary supplies that won't be found at regular feed stores.  They are on Frye Rd. between Mcqueen and Arizona. 

This reply was deleted.