Barred Rock rooster or hen??

Hi Group,

Can anyone tell from the pictures if our barred rock is a rooster or hen?  This morning the chicken was making close to crowing sounds, however I do know that some hens will also make that sounds on occasion. 5020500291?profile=original5020500478?profile=original

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very definitely a cockerel, but with ony one copy of barring, which is why his colouring is the same as a girls

• There is a fellow that works at the Feed Barn at I-17 and Lone Cactus that tells me he can sex a chicken and he also gave me a very detailed description of the difference in feather patterns between Brahama hens and roos.  if a few passing days don't provide the answer for you--that might be an answer.

• I can't tell by the pictures. The tail MAY be longer than a hen's. Does it have longer legs and stand up straighter than the others?

• i think the legs are longer.  He/she does seem to be standing up straighter

• Well, it may be a rooster, then. You'll know soon enough! :)
      Often the personality will be different, too. Roos tend to be less "chicken." As they mature they become more dominating, but young ones may act like the hens.

• 99% sure it is a hen. From what i could see in the pic, the neck feathers are way too short.

could be an aberration of the chicken, or aberration of my eyes.

but if it turns out to be a rooster, it may well be the first politically-correct breed :)

• the chicken is around 6 months 

• I'm no expert, but it looks just like my barred rock hens.  My rooster is a lot lighter colored. 

• thanks for the feedback.

This reply was deleted.