2010 Fall Meat Bird Group Order

I saw that people began responding to last years meat bird order so I thought I would make a new post with updated info for a fall 2010 order.

I will be ordering cornish cross broilers from Welp hatchery this fall, probably in mid-september. These birds are ready for butchering at 6-9 weeks. The more we get in our order, the cheaper it is. I would like to put in an order for at least 100 birds. The following prices INCLUDE shipping:

50 birds: $1.40 each
75 birds: $1.35 each
100+ birds: $1.25 each

This is for mixed males and females, the males shouldn't be a problem because generally they go to a lovely vacation at camp Frigidaire before they begin crowing. I will collect money from people in early September before I place the order, obviously how much you will owe depends on the overall quantity of birds the group has ordered. You can pay me by cash, check or paypal.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sounds good, Rachel...I haven't ordered from Schlect, so I wasn't aware of their shipping prices. As far as when I'd like to order them...the only time that I would be able to start a new broiler flock is to have them in hand by mid-November. That might be too late for everyone else...I have to go back to Houston for a revision surgery (I just had my initial reconstruction on June 2nd). I'll be in Houston for a week in October, so I don't feel like I can put on my parents (who will be at my house watching my kids) care for 50 meat chickens in addition to the turkeys...and the goats...and the dogs...and the layers. :)

If you don't think that will work with everyone else, no problem. I can order mine separately. Ordering in November, would put processing dates a little bit close to Christmas. I know this can be a busy time. My feelings won't be hurt if everyone wants to order earlier. My surgery just messes things up a bit. If that date range is good for everyone, then I would like to get in on the order.

When it comes to how we've done it...we use the killing cones (milk jugs nailed to trees), the double sided throat slitting method, and a handmade drill bit plucker...the drill bit is just as redneck as it sounds. :) But, it was very cheap and it does the job quickly. With my medical bills, it's not in the budget to get a featherman, yet. :) I hand pluck the wing feathers and tail feathers, as the drill bit tends to tear these parts up...but I've gotten pretty fast at the wings. I'm of the opinion that 140 degrees just isn't hot enough for scalding water...we shoot for 150 for both the chickens and the turkeys. As long as they are put in an ice bath for a few minutes before plucking, it's fine and the feathers come out very easily.
    • are you raising turkeys now? for thanksgiving? and do you have a pic of your handmade driller plucker thingy ma bob.....or a utube demo or something.

When I first did birds, back in the day, I did the in humane way of ringing necks. It's what the farmer lady across the street showed me. I had, however seen my dad do the milk just thing, so I think I can do that.

I just love the love and care that's in this conversation....
    • We have just over 30 turkeys right now. All for Thanksgiving, almost all spoken for by Local Harvest customers! I just love turkeys (admittedly I'm more fond of them than chickens). I love their singing chirpy voices during the day, and their lack of sounds at 4:30 am...unlike my white Rock rooster that wakes me up every day. Hmph! I love that they give the dogs attitude, and gobble at their barking. My husband, last year, had a "lap turkey" that he loved. She was the last one to go to freezer camp, we would have kept her if it wasn't for the fact that he didn't want her to be lonely...a single turkey is a very unhappy turkey.

I'll try to get a picture of the plucker drill bit today.
    • You *can* put them with your layers, but to get them to the right size in a timely manner they really should be on a 20% broiler ration.

The way I raised the freedom rangers is in movable pens, so they were still contained. I would keep their feeders full until they were moved to a clean spot (every day or every other day) at which point their feeders would be taken out for at least half the day to encourage them to forage on the fresh ground.

They are better at foraging then the Cornish cross, but it's true that they are slower growing. If you keep their feeders full 100% of the time, you will have a bird ready for the freezer in about 14 weeks.
  • How did this go last year when it came to the processing. I am defiantly interested but like many I am nervous about processing. I think i could do it with help... What happend with last years processing party or?
    • Shaun,

I don't know how the processing was done last year, as I didn't get in on the order. However, there are a number of us here that have killed and cleaned lots 'o chickens. It's one of those things that the more you do, the faster and easier it is. The first bird I butchered took me a whole hour...I was so nervous that I would do something wrong. You could totally do it! And it's a job that is a lot more fun with people to talk to!

Luckily my neighbor and I are like-minded friends, and will sit together and chat about all kinds of stuff over some dead chickens destined for the freezer. LOL...why go for coffee?

Also my kids, believe it or not, like to help. My five year old daughter actually will get mad if we neglect to involve her in the process...she actually thinks plucking feathers is fun!
    • Bethany...you're adorable!
    • Awww...it's not often I'm referred to as 'adorable' when discussing this topic! You are very sweet! :)
This reply was deleted.