2010 Fall Meat Bird Group Order

I saw that people began responding to last years meat bird order so I thought I would make a new post with updated info for a fall 2010 order.

I will be ordering cornish cross broilers from Welp hatchery this fall, probably in mid-september. These birds are ready for butchering at 6-9 weeks. The more we get in our order, the cheaper it is. I would like to put in an order for at least 100 birds. The following prices INCLUDE shipping:

50 birds: $1.40 each
75 birds: $1.35 each
100+ birds: $1.25 each

This is for mixed males and females, the males shouldn't be a problem because generally they go to a lovely vacation at camp Frigidaire before they begin crowing. I will collect money from people in early September before I place the order, obviously how much you will owe depends on the overall quantity of birds the group has ordered. You can pay me by cash, check or paypal.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Cool thx Sorry to hijack the thread :) The feed lot is the one at like 19th and deer valley right? I went in there once and was unsure if it was ok or not...
  • My hubby built a plucking drill bit kind of thing...works well, but throws feathers everywhere!

A featherman is on my wish list! :) I don't want diamonds...I want a plucker!
  • I would like to order 20, but if I need to add a few to get us to 100 chicken mark just let me know!
    Thank you for putting this together.
    • When is the best time to order turkeys?
    • It all depends on if you want them ready by Thanksgiving, and what variety you want. You are a little too late to start heritage turkeys for this Thanksgiving, if you want them in the 15-16 lb. range for dinner.

Broad-breasteds would be a better bet for this Thankgiving, but I doubt there is a hatchery that will ship poults to AZ this time of year. Poults are more fragile and sensitive than chicks. You'd likely have to browse CL or call around to feed stores to see if anyone has some.
    • If you're interested in heirloom turkeys and you just want a couple, the stock shop has them in right now (bourbon reds, blue slate, royal palms) they are a couple of weeks old and they aren't selling very fast. They are listed at $14.99 each but I think you could offer $10 and see what they say. That's a little more than hatchery price, but you don't have to order 15. Heritage birds are usually butchered in the 6-8 month old range so it's a bit late to be ready for this Thanksgiving.
    • is this a good time so that they would be grown out for thanksgiving??
  • Either way, I would (most likely) be in for 50. This is all depending on when they are ordered...as I already have over 30 turkeys waiting to be Thanksgiving dinner for my customers. I really don't want to have both turkeys and chickens to do in the same week...oh the plucking.
  • Rachel,

Just an idea...but have you ever ordered from Schlect Hatchery? They are also in Iowa, and their Cornish crosses are only $0.88/each. I've heard wonderful things about their birds, as a number of BYC meat bird "friends" use them.

I'm not trying to be all opinionated here, but if I was going to spend over $1/bird I'd rather go with the Freedom Rangers (based on Label Rouge) from J.M. Hatchery. They have the most wonderful dark meat that totally blows Cornish crosses out of the water.

Okay...not that anyone asked me, but just a thought! :)
    • The above prices include shipping, so if you do the math on the Schlect birds it works out to $1.30 per bird after shipping (if we order 100), so the Welp birds are still cheaper. The rangers are $1.70 per bird with shipping, I think for this time around I'd like to stick with the crosses, then maybe in the future do a ranger order. I worry about roosters starting to crow before they're ready for the freezer since most of us live in residential neighborhoods.
      Bethany, maybe your daughter could give my husband a pep talk. ;) Out of curiosity, when you're processing that many birds, are you hand plucking? Also do you use killing cones or another method?
      Also, what week would be a good date for you? Since you are probably in for the most birds, I'd be happy to shift it a week or two to better accommodate your schedule.
This reply was deleted.