stuffed blossoms and roasted zucchini

5020302689?profile=original

A fist full of harvest: the first Ichiban eggplant and zucchini, and two squash blossoms (male flowers) that showed up that morning.

5020302462?profile=original

This is several days' worth of blossoms. You can keep them in the fridge for several days if you can't harvest as much as you need in a single harvest. These are all male blossoms, although you can also harvest female blossoms with the immature fruit attached--also a delicacy. Harvest them in the morning when they're wide open--closed blossoms are as fun to open as it is to untangle a sopping wet piece of tissue paper. To prepare, remove the stamens and the entire stem, make sure they're bug-free (some of mine had an ant or two in them), and wipe or rinse out the pollen, and dry with a paper towel..

5020302856?profile=original

I stuffed them with a ricotta cheese mix. For ten blossoms, I used just over half a cup of ricotta, one egg, some minced roasted garlic, a dash of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Just mix the whole lot up, and either use a pastry bag or a small spoon to fill the blossoms. Twist the petals closed over the top of the filling. Cover the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil, heat til it's just smoking, and slowly and carefully lay them into the oil. Don't dump a bunch in at once--you'll drop the oil temperature, and you'll just have soppy, oily flowers--they need to start sizzling when you put them in. Fry them on each side until they're golden brown, then remove from the oil and drain the oil off on a paper towel.

5020302896?profile=original

I could eat roasted zucchini every day. I just chop them up, toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh chopped basil, fresh thyme, and a bit of fresh sage, then roast them at 375 for 20 minutes. I don't bother to stir them. I take them out when they start to look crispy brown.

I think I'll plant more zucchini plants next year.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• YUMMY!!! I can't do fried food right now but will have to try the blossoms sometime. I will absolutely try the roasted zucchinis, maybe even tonight :) I have alot of huge blossoms right now, it makes this recipe very tempting.

Thank you much for sharing,
    Nadine
    • Thanks, Nadine! You don't have to fry these--you can bake them at 350, just until they're slightly brown--maybe 15 minutes or so. =)
  • Those look sooooo delish!!

I like them stuffed with herbed goat cheese and tempura'd too.

Sadly, all the varieties I grow produce teeny tiny blossoms. Too small for stuffing. :c (
    • Thank you!

Zuke blossoms are good in other dishes, too--I've mixed them into risotto and topped focaccia with them. They'd probably be tasty in just a salad, too, maybe a warm/wilted salad.
  • Chris, thanks!

Treasa--from what I understand, the bummer about zucchini that aren't pollinated is that you usually don't know they haven't been pollinated until the flower's long gone, so usually, pollinated baby zucchini are used. They go through the same treatment as the flowers--just left attached to the blossoms and fried along with them. Since they're so young and small, they're incredibly tender and cook very quickly.

Jeff, thanks! It's a nice alternative to the more common preparation, which is battered and fried. Most recipes I've seen use a flour batter mixed with soda water--it makes a lighter batter that crisps up more quickly in a quick fry, like what you'd use with these blossoms. Have fun, and let us know how your version turns out!
  • Pretty cool. Will have to try this one day. Thanks ! :)
  • oh yum , How do you fix the small zucchinis attached to the female flowers. some of mine don't pollinate so they turn yellow and shrivel always seems such a waste
This reply was deleted.