Fennel, jicama, and green apple salad

I pulled another fennel bulb from the orange tree garden. But this one was even scrawnier than the last. What's the key to more bulbous fennel, I wonder?

Anyway, I also picked up a jicama tuber and a green apple at the store. This morning I whipped out the mandoline, and shukka shukka shukka'd out a bunch of fat fries of the whole lot.

4557452561_589b7f363d_b.jpg

Well, most of it, The fennel came out more like thin chips. So, required some knife-work too.

To the mix, I added the juice of 4 limes (they were kind of dry -- 2 juicy limes would do it), a splash of apple cider vinegar, and a drizzle of EVOO. I also added some chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley. I gave it all a toss, and there you have it:

4557452577_205de27aa0_b.jpg

Probably could use a dash of salt. But I thought it might make it watery. So I do that with each serving, just before eating it.

If you're into cilantro (I can't stand the stuff), you could probably use that instead of parsley.

If you still have oranges on your tree, feel free to section one, and use it instead of, or even in addition to the apple. Some pomegranate seeds would probably be a nice touch too. And both would add a little color.

Enjoy!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.