Eggplant Recipes

It's that time of the year where I am picking the last of the crop.  I would like to know some of your favorite eggplant recipes.   Generally, I don't eat tomato-based foods in the evening and would be delighted in knowing some of the recipes I could use for tonight's dinner that don't include tomatoes with the eggplants as I've seen all to often on the internet.  Thanks ahead of time for sharing... 

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ooh. I heart Baker Creek! I made a point to go there this summer when visiting family in Missouri and even picked up a new variety of eggplant (Ping Tung if you're interested). :) This "male/female" eggplant thing is new to me. Technically there are no male or female plants or flowers, and they are self pollinating.  Some internet people seem to swear by the shape of the blossom-end indentation; I will say I've never noticed a difference in any eggplants I grow. Like Catherine has suggested, I grow Rosa Biancas and Japanese varieties every year, they never need soaking.

Here's the eggplant recipe I'm cooking tonight (I've had it before and like it very much, my husband likes it too and he really doesn't like eggplant)

Eggplant and Basil Caponata

Cut an eggplant (1-1.25 lbs) and two bell peppers (red and yellow are preferred) into a 3/4" dice. Coat with olive oil (about 1/3 cup) and a tsp of salt. Cook in a 475˚ oven for about 30 minutes flipping them halfway through. Try and keep everything in as close to a single layer as possible.

Meanwhile in a bowl combine 2 tsp lemon juice, 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp dark brown sugar, 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (yep, you read that right), 2 tsp finely chopped ginger, 1.5 tsp freshly minced garlic, 1 tsp olive oil. Stir until well combined

Let the eggplant cool for 5 minutes once removed from the oven then combine with the sauce and 2 TBS coarsely chopped parsley and 12  coarsely chopped large basil leaves. Stir well until all is evenly incorporated.

This came from Susie Middleton's "Fast, Fresh and Green" a cookbook my mother turned me on to.

• Rachael, everytime I read about Baker and their wonderful 'village' I ache to go there - good for you, that you were able to visit.  The Caponata is wonderful.  I love ratatouille, and Grace, I wonder if ratatouille is the possible recipe you had, it can be made a lot of ways. 

He, He, I actually salivated when I watched the movie "Ratatouille"  - I explained to Deane that the preparation in the animation was so real - I later learned that Thomas Keller of the French Laundry Restaurant coached the animators on how to draw the food and prep.

• is this a side dish or a main course?  it sounds delightful.  will make it tonight.

• That sounds really tasty, Rachel.

• I have a eggplant recipe I am looking for. Sorry Cassandra, it does have canned tomatoes in it, along with hamburger, and elbow macaroni.  It is Moroccan or Middle Eastern.  There was a spice in it that made the dish taste like everything was so fresh.  I am trying to identify the spice, but I can't.  It could not have been too exotic since she learned how to make it in the 1960's.  Does anyone have any idea what this spice would be?

• Grace, if it was middle eastern my guess would be possibly mint - specifically spearmint.

• I like to grill slices of eggplant along with sweet bell pepper slices and layer them with cheese for a really tasty grilled cheese sandwich :-)  If I have it I add fresh basil leaves between the layers.

• They are very good sliced like french fries and then battered and deep fried. Not necessarily a low calorie way to eat them, but good...My mother in law makes mini pizzas, using thinly sliced eggplant instead of pizza crust...just add toppings and put under broiler for a few minutes. I know most pizza includes tomatos, but you could do a white pizza with alfredo sauce, chicken and mozzarella, or a basil pesto pizza with artichoke hearts and anchovies...yum!

• This the only way I like eggplant. :)

Baba Ghanoush

http://www.food.com/recipe/baba-ghanoush-the-best-in-the-world-67570

• There's a stir-fried eggplant dish I've made several times and liked - don't know where the original recipe was from, but this is something similar (I use fish sauce instead of oyster sauce, and also sweet chili sauce). It's nice garnished with fresh herbs.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/stir-fried-asian-e...

This reply was deleted.