wood chips

Jesse has generously offered to give the wood chips from his tree business away for free. My question is can wood chips, I am assuming there would be a mix of different trees in the size loads he is offering, be put directly on a yard, in a chicken coop, around trees etc, without first being composted? a friend told me she put sawdust on a yard once and it killed the grass.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Erika,
    Where about town do you live ? I "may" be interested in some wood chips. Do you get them on a regular basis ?
    Thanks
    • I am where the 101 and 51 meet. I had a VERY LARGE tree trimming truck drop it off over a year ago and it was way bigger than I anticipated. Because it has been so long it has composted down to 1/3 of what it was. I have over the year added yard and kitchen waste to it. My chickens love digging through it and i'm sure have fertilized it well. I have only a small section that I will keep. The rest needs to be removed because we are doing some things with that space in the next month or two.
    • If Jeff doesn't take what you've got, Erika...then I will. I've contacted several tree companies...being told they'd drop off a load when they are in the neighborhood. Well, I've been waiting for well over a year.

So...let me know!
      http://year.So/
    • I would love that! I have one person picking up a truckload in the morning, but there is plenty. Please tell me when you can come. The problem is shoveling it up. We have a double gate with easy access, but I'm sure my husband will either be working or too tired to help shovel.
    • Ohh Ohh, I need some too! Just tore out my concrete driveway and am now replacing with wood chips.

Anyone got some for me this week?
    • I have some still.
    • a month later, do you still need some removed?
  • I think it would be fine to use wood chips overtime i think they would mix into the soil slowly and become extra nutients for the trees and your garden,but i think i would have mine composted
  • I would think they would be just fine. Anyone interested I have a huge pile of compost/wood chips that I have been using with great success that I have way too much of. Anyone interested please come and pick it up! We are really close to taking it to the dump. They have been composting for about a year.
This reply was deleted.