Suggestions for native plants in a community garden??

We will transform a vacant lot that is just under a quarter acre in the Garfield District of downtown Phoenix into a Community Garden. The plot is a blank slate and I need help. I am new to the idea of permaculture and native planting with water harvesting. I am overwhelmed by the vast information available and want to get something started sooner than my research alone will allow.

As much as possible, I want to use native plants for food and welcome suggestions from desert gardening gurus about good starter plants, high-yield, and must-haves.

My goal is to plant in the style of our predecessors, including the Hohokum and the 'Four Sisters' method of the Tewa.

Literally, I need suggestions for native plants as a food source. i.e. tepary bean, honey mesquite, maize, squash, rocky mountain bee plant, etc.

Additionally, suggestions for native plants as medicine. i.e. chaparral, globe mallow, ocotillo, prickly pear, aloe, etc.

Thanks!!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Laura,

I would like to help with this garden.  Where is it and when might I find people there?  Are you the person taking care of logistics?

Thanks,

Angie

• Go see Jim Verrier @ Desert Survivors in Tucson & spend a day there with them & with him.  He will fill you full of knowledge & generous passion.  Although I have several Phx nurseries I love, nothing beats the native culture & selection down in Tucson.  Greg Starr may be another to go see there.  Jim's my favorite nursery guy, along with Michael Martin Melendrez in New Mexico.  Granted, many of the plants @ Desert Survivor's & other Tucson nurseries are more endemic to a radius around Tucson (+/- 500 miles, which includes Phx of course), you will find quite a few things to add to your collection.  If you do go, tell him I said hello. I actually may be there saturday, although he is often off that day.  Mesquite Valley--although not entirely native--is a worthwhile trip if you do make the trip, although you may spend a bit more.  Varied selection.  You might also add Civano's while you are down there.

Just some general thoughts...

• Thank you! We are members over there. I don't know why, but I hadn't yet considered them as a resource. I love the plant sale and did not realize that was this weekend. Will try to get some preliminary decisions from the landholder and get some trees started at least!

I'm thinking we'll start breaking ground over the next month or so. I've got a landscaper prepared to bring clippings in the near future. I don't know if you're in the neighborhood, but we'll need 'many hands [to] make light work' of this.

:D

• I heard from Ruthie at the AZHS market booth (I think?) about this, congratulations. :) It looks like you're already very much on the right track. Are you the permanent owner/caretaker of this, or is it a temporary project? Will it be flood irrigated or drip (or hand!) The Wendy Hodgson rec is a great one, I hope she is willing to help with this. Her book is expensive but IMO, worth it. It's also available at the library but there is usually a waiting list. I would definitely recommend some honey mesquites... actually all of the plants you have listed sound good. I have lots of native seeds I could share, though probably not anywhere near the quantities you need.
    • I'm glad word is already getting out. I'm barely getting started, or maybe it just seems like the more get going the more there is to do?? :) I have been approached by the landholder to do this project. I suppose for now I am a temporary caretaker. We have not hashed out all of the details, but believe me the next question on my list is about project longevity. Ideally, we will get a minimum 3 year commitment. He is really into neighborhood revitalization and depending on the success of the garden, may hope to keep it going longer term.

Watering is a big question mark. I want very much to supplement water supply with roof rainwater collection and neighboring grey water. I also hope to diminish the reliance on water with the use of native drought tolerant plants. And I hope to find access to a ceramic studio to make hundreds of ollas, to slowly release water from beneath the soil within the garden beds. That's the long answer, to say, the water we DO use, will be a combination of methods but will not be flood irrigated. 

And you're right, that is an expensive book! Perhaps I will start a new thread to borrow this from someone for now. Though I will likely want to buy a copy in the future. OR if all goes well, down the line we can build a small cob tool shed/library on premises. 

And YES, seed donations of any amount are completely welcome!!!

Thankyou.

• http://nativeseeds.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=1

Great source for plants that grow well here.  I've had great luck with their onion especially.

• perfect!! thankyou.
This reply was deleted.