Sick chicken

One of my ladies looked ill from heat stroke and I thought she was better after hydrating her with some watermelon. She just lays there now and I am not sure if she is eating or drinking. Any suggestions? Should I seperate her from the flock? Thanks for any suggestions.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When the girls get hot I use the bottom of an igloo dog house, turned upside down and filled with water--just deep enough for hen feet. The girls really like a trickle of fresh water too.  Occasionally, when a hen gets stressed I bring them in and give them a couple eye droppers full of oil of oregano thinned with olive oil or Vernors Ginger Ale (if is think there are digestive issues involved).  Then they are put in a straw-filled box and propped up so they can breathe, with food and water within reach.  After a few hours or days, whenever they feel up to it, they get  out of the box and walk out of the house on their own power!     The downside of this is--hens remember and there are some that think  that because I let them in the house (and cool air) once--that it is Ok for them to come in anythime.....

• If she's still lethargic you may want to put her in a cooler area for a few hours just to see if that will help revive her.  I put one of my girls into a dog kennel in the a/c of the shop overnight when she had heatstroke last summer.  In the morning she was fine and I put her back into the run with the rest of the flock.  Alyssa's idea of shallow water for them to walk in is a good one if you don't already have it.  I also use a misting system and a fan in my coop once it gets over about 90.  Good luck with your girl.

• Here are a couple of articles to check out.....

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/03/beating-heat.html

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/07/hot-weather-acidosis-and-ho...

I use 1 tbls blackstrap molasses, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda per gal of water. Works great and my flock of 20 are doing great in this heat. I also lay out shallow containers of water for them to dip their feet in and provide as much shade as possible. Hope this all helps!

This reply was deleted.