Looking for organic chicks

Okay, I am new here and new to the chicken world, so bear with me.  I am looking for organic chicks who came from hens who were also fed organic food.  This seems to be a daunting task as many people state that as long as the chick ate organic food once it hatches then it's "organic".  Well, we don't know what gmo corn exactly does to the DNA of our genes as well as animals who eat it, so not starting any heated discussions of whether this is true or not, does anyone have a source for me to follow who knows the hens were fed organic so I can purchase organic chicks?  I'd prefer not vaccinated and think a small farmer might fit this bill, but am having a difficult time locating one.  I'd like a Rhode Island Red or Black Australorp but will look into anything else that is organic.

Anybody have any directions for me?  I'm in North Phoenix area.  I've contacted Reckla Ranch, but have not had any responses back from them and Pratt's and Western Ranchman didn't have suggestions either.

Thanks in advance,
Becky F

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Becky, I have approximately 200 chickens who roam free on an acre. Among the different breeds I raise I do have Rhode Island Red and the incubators to hatch up to 400 chicks. Perhaps I can be of some help. You can phone me a 480-892-2604 or e-mail to rroth20@cox.net

Have a great day1
    Bobbie
  • I came across this website today: http://www.rainboweggfarm.com/soy-free_feed.html

It looks like their hatching eggs may be what you are looking for.
    http://www.rainboweggfarm.com/soy-free_feed.html
    • Hi Roxanne,

If we keep asking mesa feed barn....or more importantly pet club (they seemed more receptive) together we may be able to convince them. Pet club seemed interested. They asked how much I would need...together we could most likely convince them to get it. I only have a few chicks right now so I don't need a lot. Its worth trying again, maybe we could call in the same day. I spoke with the manager Kyle. If you or others want to call me with your interest in organic chicken feed I may be able to convince Kyle with all of our requests and/or deposits to get it. My number 480-921-4009 Pet Club in mesa 480-834-7387
      This would be the most convenient location and I could tell kyle we will let all know on this site about them selling organic chicken feed.
    • I started a thread several months ago trying to rally people that were interested in organic feed in Mesa and didn't really get a response. That is when I was asking at the Feed Barn and Pet club if they would carry it. But maybe there are more people in the area interested now.

I would be happy to go to the Pet Club and request it also. Which location are you dealing with? The one I had gone to before was the one on Country Club I think there may be another one now.
    • I go to the one country club too. Ask for Kyle...he is really nice. His best friend owns the place and he manages it. You may want to call to be sure he is there. I left a message on their voice mail this morning after reading your message. If we call on Monday and bother him about it he may do it. I stated in the voice mail that I would spread the word on this site to get him some business and that someone in mesa should start carrying it because they would get lots of referrals.
      Keep me posted on your feedback from them and I will do the same.
  • This is very unlikely. I understand your concern, but even if the person with hatching eggs feeds their birds organic, the odds of the preceding generation also being fed organic is next to nothing and so on. If you do go this route, be prepared with a plan for the roosters that are hatched out. Also, there are very few small farmers that feed organic because of the cost. Pretty much all of the eggs being sold at the local farmers markets are even being fed conventional feed (unless they state otherwise).

I agree with you that organic is worth it and that's what I feed my birds. I don't want to eat anything that ate Franken-genes. I'm afraid you may have to choose the next best thing and do the best you can with day old chicks. I have to say this is the first time I've ever heard this brought up.
    • I have been having trouble finding organic chicken feed other than my kitchen scraps. I have Batams and find that they are actually very fussy with what they eat. They turn down all kinds of goodies in the fruit and veggie category and leave it for the ants to get.
      I live in Mesa and would love a source for organic feed ?

Thanks
    • I also live in Mesa and I drive out to Scottsdale Livestock for my organic feed. A long drive. I have talked to Mesa Feedbarn and to Pet Club and they aren't interested.

I went out to Aden's once and they were out, so call first if you are going there. From this forum I found out that you can buy it from Azure Standard and have it delivered to a drop point close to you. I have made one order and if I can time it right plan on getting my organic feed that way.

http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/search?q=chicken+feed

Scottsdale Livestock Supply
      480-998-1860
      7501 E Redfield Rd
      Scottsdale, AZ 85260
    • Aden's Hay Oasis in Higley usually carries it. I'm afraid I'm less familiar with the East Valley feed stores, but my guess is that Aden's is going to be the closest if you're in Mesa, it's always best to call before the drive. (480) 988-5015 • 18206 E. Williams Field Road, Higley, AZ. I've noticed a lot more are starting to carry it, I think because of requests. Perhaps you could ask your usual feed store to stock it, if enough people ask for it, they'll get it.

Also, Becky, has your research turned up anything? I applaud your thoughtfulness.
  • How many chicks are you looking for, and what breeds? I think your best bet is to find someone who feeds organic feed exclusively and ask about acquiring fertile hatching eggs or chicks.

If you are looking into heavy-duty egg layers, most do not go broody often, so either the person with the hens or you would have to incubate them. Heritage breeds are more likely to go broody, but probably will not lay quite as many eggs.
This reply was deleted.