Gilbert wants to ban roosters

My fellow critter keepers:

The Town of Gilbert is considering banning the ownership of roosters even on horse properties. They have received 16 complaints regarding noise & compliance. In  a conversation with one town planner I was told that 2 roosters per acre lot was going to be the max allowed. That I could keep my rooster in a small container to prevent him from stretching his neck so he could not crow. That guinea fowl and peacock were next because they were anoying, too.

Bottom line: if we do not call, email or show up at town meetings, we are going to lose our rights to keep farm animals in Gilbert. What's goint to be next? A muffler for my cow? Duct tape on my turkey's?

Please help!

Annabelle Pattison

Council meetings are Mondays & Thursdays @ 7pm

Please call or email the Town of Gilbert Mayor & Council Members:

Mayor John Lewis
(480) 503-6860 (Municipal Center - Office)
John.Lewis@gilbertaz.gov

Vice Mayor Les Presmyk
(480) 892-0779 (Home)
(480) 503-6764 (Municipal Center - Office)
Les.Presmyk@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember Linda Abbott
(480) 892-3486 (Home)
(480) 503-6601 (Municipal Center - Office)
Linda.Abbott@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember Ben Cooper
(602) 689-8393 (Cell)
Ben.Cooper@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember Dave Crozier
(623) 393-6820 (Work)
(602) 568-7338 (Cell)
Dave.Crozier@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember Jenn Daniels
(480) 205-9685 (Cell)
Jenn.Daniels@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember John Sentz
(480) 545-5529 (Home)
(480) 503-6605 (Municipal Center - Office)
John.Sentz@gilbertaz.gov

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, Annabelle.

Being new to the Permaculture community, I'm reading up on some interesting threads. I live in Gilbert & hadn't heard anything about this. It's been 8 months now; has there been any more activity by the council?

I love the sounds of roosters, much more so than the dirt bikes that drive by. I did have one rooster long ago that tried to break the noise ordinance, but he's no longer with us.

Bethany, great letter!

• Thanks!
  • Thanks!
  • I'm encouraged by the response to Bethany's letter, and yes, having some Gilbert residents show up to a meeting counts for a lot! Please, please keep us posted.
  • The letter I just sent to our mayor and the members of the town council:

Dear Mr. Lewis and Members of the Gilbert Town Council,

My husband and I chose to purchase our Gilbert home in 2008. We made this decision because Gilbert possesses a wonderful small town feel and agricultural roots. As an informed consumer, I read the Gilbert municipal code before we purchased our house. We decided we wanted to live in a town that allowed its citizens to keep poultry and livestock in accordance with Gilbert's farming history. We think it should be expected that others who have made the decision to move into Gilbert also be informed consumers. These folks should understand that making a decision to move into a town that allows its citizens to keep poultry and livestock may quite possibly result in living next to someone that keeps poultry and livestock.

I'm reminded of the dairy farm up the road from my childhood home in Michigan. A family purchased the house next door to the farm and promptly started complaining about the smell of the cows. Let me ask you, does this make any sense? Moving into an extant community means acknowledging and being at peace with its history and customs. The "right to farm" statutes on the books of many historically agrarian states are founded on this principle.

If one would like to live in a community with a plethora of detailed rules regarding what can and cannot be done on and with one's own property, a prudent choice would be an HOA governed neighborhood. Such an environment promises that a resident will be among those sharing similar views on land use and quiet enjoyment.

I urge you to cease your move to ban roosters, guineas, and peafowl. Different types of communities abound in and around Gilbert. Certainly we can welcome new friends to neighborhoods in which they would feel comfortable without sacrificing our heritage and important sources of locally produced organic poultry and eggs. Or perhaps they would prefer a little egg factory "Salmonella" with their urban repose?

Regards,
    Bethany Lobocki
    • That is an awesome letter! If a group shows up at a council meeting in support of keeping livestock on the books, it will really mean so much more than a letter or a phone call (though all avenues should be used on this one.) Jeff's ideas are great ones. Glad to hear one council member has already addressed the letter.

Good luck with this and keep us posted.
    • I agree that showing up in person really gets their interest. Being there in person demonstrates how improtant the issue is to you. But I would also urge you to not just show up in person, but to ALSO send in letters or personally call town staff and the council members ahead of time. Let them know in advance that there are a LOT of their citizens who are upset about the possibility of changes that would eliminate or limit their current rights or change the character of the town away from its historical smalltown agriculture roots.

I strongly feel that nuisances should be handled by legislating the nuisance, not its cause. A barking dog or blaring stereo or loud machinery can be just as annoying as a rooster or peacock or guinea.
    • great letter, now mobilize with likeminded residents and show up for council meetings :)
    • Excellent! Thank you so very much!
      Hopefully, you can spare a few minutes and go with neighbors to a Town meeting.

I see your face is a Nubian. I have Nubians,too. :)
    • One of the council members replied to my e-mail already. She said that the issue at hand is being dealt with under the current noise ordinance, and that there are no plans to change the ordinance currently allowing all the critters. (my words, not hers) :)

I'll let you know what the others reply.

Yay Nubians! I just love them! You don't by chance have a buck, do you? I'm trying to hook my one doe up on a date for December-ish. :)
This reply was deleted.