First winter with my chickens

This is going to be my first winter with my chickens.  I have 4 chickens of different breeds.  I have a good coop for them, but I am wondering if there was anything special that I need to know about keeping the warm and producing eggs pretty regular.  Also is there any special food that I will need other than some scratch to keep them happy?  Thanks.

Tina

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just an FYI.... I just found this really cool website that calculates the sunrise, sun set & day length for you for Phoenix. Cool!

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp

• Thank you everyone so much for all the suggestions! They are all so great... I will for sure try the solar walk way light idea. Thanks again
  • the solar walkway lights are a great idea, i'm going to try them.
  • I'm new to this chicken thing but... When I heard about the light requirements and considered my chicken tractor and the not-very-attractive possibility of needing an extension cord stretched across my yard continually, I purchased one of the solar walkway lights and installed it through the roof of the chicken's coop. So far the girls are continuing to produce eggs regularly. Cost me $2.50 and the tractor is still off the grid!
    • Excellent idea! I knew I'd find a way to take advantage of some Black Friday sale tomorrow...Home Depot here I come :-)
  • My coop is located on the shady shade of the house. So I built them a run in the sunshine. Abigail did not lay well last year until I figured it out. As long as they spend time in the sun, we get eggs.
    • Tina, thanks for starting this question thread and thanks to all for your wise counsel - it's always reassuring to hear how others are managing their first 'chicken year'!
  • They don't need anything else...but you will have to provide extra light for them to trick their biological clock.
This reply was deleted.