City of phoenix: inspector

I just got a notice from neighborhood services regarding a complaint about our chickens. I have 3 small tiny bantams was quite surprised as we have verbally informed all our neighbors and they seemed all cool. Apparently not. I do have them free range all day and one was flying into one the neighbors yards so i clipped her wings and tail and that has stopped. If I keep them in an enclosed run do i still need written permission from the neighbors? Are the city inspectors helpful and able to offer solutions? I do not want to get rid of my girls. I am SO heartbroken. Any experience anyone with this topic. I live in phoenix proper 85028 zoned residential.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• sorry for the late response- I sent a message but for everyone else, the 75' rule says it applies to "buildings"...for something to count as a building it would be a more permanent structure- so the "tractor" would be covered under the 40' rule, not the 75' rule. Hope that helps! :)
    • Wow! This is very helpful information: I'm sure others will find this very helpful. Thank you so much for your concern. Gonna go do some virtual measuing!
  • Ugh, I'm sorry. The inspectors are generally NOT helpful. You may get lucky, but it's best to get everything in order on your own. Hopefully this is something you can sort out between you and your neighbors. Keep us posted on your progress.
  • I am so sorry this has happened to you. Sending good thoughts your way !!
  • Eva,
    Just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that things will work out okay with the neighbors. I think sometimes people don't realize that chickens are as clean and friendly as any other pet, and we chicken owners have to help them understand that to put them at ease about having chickens in the neighborhood. You might try buttering up the neighbors with some free fresh eggs also! Good luck, and keep us posted.
    Judy
  • Hi Eva-

I live in 85028 also. I understood the 80 feet to mean 80 feet from the coop to the nearest neighbor. I had a rooster that started crowing while I was on vacation for 5 days. The day I got home, there was an Animal care and control truck parked at my alley. I have no idea if it was for the rooster, but I've decided to keep the chicken thing on the QT as much as possible. I hope this turns out OK for you.

-Monica
    • Me and my girls will make it thru this. I think i know which neighbor it was, I put a letter in her mailbox asking for permission to keep our pets...Hopefully they will see the light. And am going to make sure gates are locked and wings are clipped. Thanks for the info...
  • What did the notice tell you had to do? Did it say you had to get rid of them? there are laws on the books regarding owning chickens. I would think that unless you live in a HOA You would have the opportunity to comply with the law ie cooping them up within the legal limits .... 80' from you closest neighbor or written permission from a closer neighbor.
    • it said to keep them enclosed which i could do...as far as the 80feet from neighbor: do you know how that is measured? i have a wide lot so 80 feet from center? from edge? i tried calling and was on hold forever...and if i enclose them does that waive my need to get written permission? the letter was not clear....any info would be appreciated....thanks!
  • I would just tell people they are pet birds. Most people don't even know of bantam or small chickens.
This reply was deleted.