chicken coop building

Hello I am a new member ,Everyone calls me BEAR I am  interested in keeping chickens. I am looking at starting out with 3 to 4 egg layers, I am wondering if anyone has any contacts for someone to build me a coop that I can walk in and clean easy with at least one enclosed nest box. I could build one myself but frankly i don't have the time or knowledge of what the basic things I need for the chickens. Also I am not very good at working with wood.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pratts also carries ready-made coops.  Look pretty good for the price.  You can also look at ready made storage buildings and go for options that add windows and other ventilation. 

• My brother in law built us a very nice coop. If you would like to see photos and get his contact information let me know and I can provide either. He also built us a 4x4 foot brooder as we quickly learned how fast they would outgrow the big tubs we were trying to use.

• yes please send photos. I am in need of a larger coop now that I am thinking of having 4 chickens and 2 turkeys. I would like a way to seperate them if I need to also. If you have pictures of the brooer that would be cool also.

• Here is a picture of the brooder. It measures 4 x 4 feet and is 18 inches high. We had to cut some of the wire to get the chicks out because they huddled in the farthest corners when it came time to move them. We are done with it and intended to ask our neighbor if he wants to buy/store it since he plans to have chickens but he can easily build one himself anytime so if you are interested and able to haul it let me know. 

Brooder.jpg

• Here are some coop pics. I can only upload 3 files so let me know if more are needed. We can open the nest boxes from outside the fence.  We started with 4 large beams from some raised planters we took down and still have some left if you are interested in purchasing and hauling them. My husband is 6' 2" and insisted it be tall enough for him to walk in. They will have the run of the fenced area and later the entire yard. They are really enjoying their little wading pool which is a large drainage dish for a large plant pot.

Will post brooder pics separately.

Coop 1.jpg

Coop 2.jpg

Coop 3.jpg

• Hi, Bear! Welcome to the group.

I have built two chicken coops for myself, which you are welcome to come see. I know from this experience that I could build you a coop using all new materials for $500, including labor. That coop would be 8 ft wide, 8 feet long, and 8 feet tall. It would have plywood for rain protection, as well as shade and wind break, with half the coop open to air flow. It would also have a door you can walk through, and three nesting boxes accessible from the outside. If that's the kind of coop you want, let me know. We can get together and hash out the details.

David of Farmer Goose

• ok thanks i'll keep you in mind, I am going to western ranchman and see what they have first.

• That's cool. One thing I have noticed on this site is people wanting coops which have some artistic flair. I'm the first to admit an 8 foot cube is very lacking in flair and full of functionality. If you can, post what you find at Western Ranchman with price ranges and personal impressions. I think there are several on this forum interested in the information.

David of Farmer Goose

• I called Kirk's Handyman Service at 602-944-3658.  I guess they were a sponsor at the Tour de Coops.  I am working with Steve.  He came out to look at my space about 3 weeks ago.  I have yet to her about a plan or get a quote.  So, if you want something quick, they might not be your people.  But I am hoping it will work out!

Kelly

• I have seen some cool coops made out of chainlink fence dog runs you may want to try.  Also, there are a few people on craigslist that says that they will build them.  Good luck!

This reply was deleted.