Just starting!

I am so excited! I want to get 2-3 chickens and would like some advice on which ones you all might recommend; I want fresh eggs in the morning :) I have signed up for Myron's next Raising Chickens in Your Backyard class but thought I'd get some ideas from here...I'm going to place the coop on the East side of the house as it doesn't get as much sun, probably 25% of the day. At the moment there is just rock there, but I'll be clearing it out down to the dirt where I'll be putting the coop.Are there plans out there for building coops? I've seen a ton and am curious, being in Arizona, is heat going to be an issue and, with regards to the coop, should it be half and half as far as cover goes? I mean, should part of it have a roof and another just have chicken wire? Any recommendations on size or type? How and where should I start, other than Myron's class :)

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Heidi,
    Where is the information regarding "Myron's Chicken Class"? Would love to attend....
    • I don't know! There was a class a while back, but I was unable to attend...if he has another one, I'm signing up immediately!! Anyone?
  • Thanks for all the input. In choosing a breed of hens, I have two little girls so personality will be the number one trait for us...then probably egg laying. We have lots of coyotes and a nest of Harris Hawks (bigger than red-tailed hawks) that visit our yard regularly. For that reason I was thinking of sticking to larger sized hens. While they would spend most of their time in a coop I would like to let them in the yard during the middle of the day when coyotes are not as prevelant. I was considering a small tractor coop just for grazing purposes if the hawks were an issue... does anyone who has hawks in their area had that as a problem. The coyotes generally just visit at night especially if we are in the yard a lot.

I was planning on ordering 1 day old chicks on line...has anyone done that...any recomendation of where to order...
    • Shelly,

We have 3 Harris that frequent our 2 acres and the hens are very savy to stay up under the trees or in their coop which, unless times are THAT tough, would never enter. Where about are you at? We don't have many coyotes in our yard, but they are at the Golf Course down a couple of blocks. While its unlikely a Harris would try a 8+ pound hen, it all depends on their hunger and if they're an easy target. We have 2 acres of open space and they could easily take one from us, so many times the girls are penned for the day or two depending on how close they're watching our chickens. (IE light pole next door or even sitting on a corral panel in the yard). We also have a Great Horned Owl that calls us home lately.

If you're going to order online, you'll need to get with someone else ordering, or you'll need to order a minimum of 25 chicks. For just a few, you may be best off to visit a feed store and pick out which you like (or let your girls do that!).
    • I would just like to point out that the original post here is 18 months old so Heidi probably doesn't need our help anymore ;)
      Shelley-
      Coyotes are very adept at killing chickens. You will need to have a VERY secure coop. In your situation, a strong tractor might be the best option for you and the security of your birds. The hawks seem to be mostly a problem for young birds, although a full-grown chicken, even a large breed, wouldn't be a problem for it if it was motivated. Bethany is right that grass and legumes will not grow inside a run. Chickens make short work of them.
      As for ordering online, try welp, ideal or cackle. If you're only ordering a couple of birds, you can use mypetchicken. You will pay a hefty fee for a small order. You would likely be better served by buying them from a valley feed store. The feed barn often carries rare breeds, most feed stores have day old chicks. After you figure out which breeds you want call around to the list posted at the top of this page. Barred rocks and buff orpingtons are common breeds that are generally very friendly and good producers.
    • Ah, but I do! I got busy over the past 18 months and am not back to focusing on my chicken farm!
  • I am going to differ from the other posters on this topic, Heidi. If you are only planning on having a few chickens, I would suggest a movable pen of some sort. I would highly suggest reading the book, "Chicken Tractor" written by Andy Lee. You will get some great ideas that will be MUCH less expensive then building a larger coop and run for your chickens. This would especially be the way to go if you have grass. Giving them access to pasture is healthier for them, and makes eggs healthier and yummier for us! You will have a VERY difficult time getting any type of grass or legume to grow inside a run. The way they scratch around and pick at stuff...it won't stand a chance. That's the great thing about a mobile pen...you can move it around giving different areas of the yard time to recover as well as allowing different areas of your yard to benefit from the great fertilizer provided by your chickens!

Using mobile pens is the way I house my meat birds. You would need to add some roosting space and nesting boxes for egg layers, but it can and has been done. That book will give you lots of ideas.
    • I love the idea of a moving tractor, however, I don't have a lick of grass. I've laid down a wood mulch in the yard, but have taken up most of the rock. I do have an area on the side of the house - actually two areas, one on each side of the house - that I'm debating on. At the moment, one side of the house gets most of the sun in one area but has a great tree that provides a decent amount of shade - minimal rock as I have an area where I've had a garden. The other is all rock, but kind of gets more shade...no tree though; in writing this, I'm thinking the side with the tree will be most beneficial in the winter...thanks for letting me think this out, although I value your thoughts and opinions :)
  • Heidi-

congrats on deciding to raise chickens! I am excited to hear about your journey! You might start with 2-3 but it will be tempting to get more as they are addicting :) I have buff orpingtons and they are such a delight and so sweet! I get an egg a day from them most times, and once in awhile one of them will take the day off (a well deserved day off! ha!) and I second to the breeds that Rachel mentioned- I am getting an easter egger with a few other breeds in about a month and I can't wait! You're in good company if you take the class and also follow Rachel's advice and read on BYC. Heidi my quail pen is built with the hardware cloth and you can see the difference between that and chicken wire in the photos. I also have 1/2 a solid roof on my coop but then plan on adding shade cloth to the top and west face in the summer to help with the heat. Happy chicken raising! Let us know how it goes and post pics! :)

Shelly I have my coop open to the ground where there---was---grass and the girls have loved it. Didn't take them long to eat the grass and now I put down a fresh layer of straw when I do my coop cleanout- and everything that comes out of the bottom of that run goes straight into the compost pile! I don't think you'd have much success with growing grass in the run unless it was large as they will eat all the tender green shoots quite quickly! my coop has minimal daily cleaning because I am spread so thin between 2 jobs, and it is airy and open and doesn't smell bad at all! (I think the quail are actually a little stinkier but it's probably my fault for not moving the tractor around enough...) So that's my two cents about coop/run floor.
    • I recommend you plan for NO cleaning by by doing the deep litter method. You dig it out once or twice a year. I have been doing it this way for a long time. I do have a roof on the area, and shelter on three sides, so that the floor does not flood when it rains. I don't know how deep litter would smell if it got very wet. I also run a mister in the summer when the temp is above 110. Just a light mist for 2-4 hours late in the afternoon, and the litter gets damp but not stinky, and dries quickly.
      We are nearly done with the new coop. We should finish this weekend: I will post pictures when we finish. My cranky neighbor moved already, so I am going to bring back my rooster for at least a little while and try for some baby chicks. They will be salmon faverolle, a relatively rare breed. I highly recomend them, they are easy to handle, don't like to fly when you let them out on the grass, and are just plain pretty birds. I don't know if I am going to keep the bigger birds: I have a white jersey Giant and a golden laced Wyandotte. The Wyandottes are great egg producers and also are very beautiful. I still have one Buttercup hen, and I just love her personality, she is very curious and follows me around to see what I am up to! But she is agressive with the french hens and holds her own against the big girls, so she is in the mini=flock with them. If I find a home for the two big hens, I might try Polish, or I might just get some more buttercup and keep 2 mini-flocks. I haven't decided yet.
This reply was deleted.