Lime Thyme

Has anybody used it?  I bought some at Urban Farm Nursery and used it yesterday.  What a wonderful herb!  Paired it with Spicy Basil in a crustless egg white quiche with spinach, asparagus, tomatoes, and parmesan cheese.  I really didn't want to share it as it was so good.

Please let me know if you have used this wonderful herb.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nice recipe Deb!  I have been growing and using lime thyme and lime basil off and on for quite a few years.  Wonderful fragrance and scent.  They really do have one or more of the essential oils found in lime citrus.

Basically any dish you would use citrus lime in you can use a lime-scented herb in, same thing with the lemon scented herbs - fun experimenting!

• Deb, Thanks for the tips, for the first time I was able to make a crustless quiche that turned out.  I used 2 Wilton heavy metal cake pans.  I always make 2 quiches and put a lot of vegetables in it so the high cake pan wall prevented everything from spill over in the oven.  This will be a weekly special with whatever is growing in the garden.

• Thank you for the tips.  I hadn't thought about heavy metal cake pans.  and the zucs be a-coming and my first pan squash is almost ready to pick.  So exciting!!!

• Yes, the round metal pans cooked everything perfectly.  Hehe mine where not low fat I put in home grown artichoke hearts and onions, then green chiles, black olives, ham and swiss cheese.   I  bought the green chiles mainly for the seeds, I thought they would be nice to grow in the garden.

• I just planted some.  I would love to know how to make quiche without out the crust.

• I sprayed PAM in the quiche pan (mine is from Johnson Brother's Friendly Village and is about 1" inch high and  about 9-10" in diameter).  First is sauteed lightly some grape tomatoes and scallions in a little olive oil, adding fresh ground pepper at the end to open up the flavor.  set aside.  Lightly steam some fresh spinach.  Set aside.  I used about 3 to 4T Lime Thyme and Spicy Basil (fresh that morning, washed [have dogs] and cut with herb scissors).  Add the tomato mixture and mix with about 7 egg whites or however many you want to use.  Pour into the pan.  Add the herbs, spinach, then the asparagus.  top with some freshly grated parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.

I had friends over for brunch who are no fat type of folks.  The flavors were popping.  I easily could have eaten the whole pie; however, I had 1/4 of it, friend's wife had a 1/4 of it, and he had 1/2 of it.  I have thought about how to improve it...and I will probably add more herbs and more spinach.  Its a keeper and a do-over.  It would make great mini quiches

• Thanks Deb, that sounds like a great way to use the garden vegetables.  I bet kale would be good in quiche.

This reply was deleted.