Replies

• During the course of yesterday's research, I read that PVC cutters are handy for cutting sugar cane.

• Do you soak the ground year round? to keep it green?

• I found our sugar cane takes about the same amount of water as tomatoes - a little more from our horse trough in the summertime.

As with a lot of edibles, deep water and allow to dry some before watering again.

• Hi Krystal,

I grow sugar cane and have not tried juicing yet because I don't have a juicer, but here is the recommended way with a home juicer (but I like Grrlscout's idea of the old wringer :-).

You must cut the cane into pencil thick pieces to use in a home juicer to avoid ruining it.  The picture Grllscout posted is the way they do it in the cane field growing areas, on a local scale.

• lol i'm hoping to get gallons. although i  will enjoy chewing some. Not sure what to do once i have the juice maybe make sugar or try fermenting it. 

• thanks for the ideas, i'll post pics of the sugarcane patch as soon as I get home. I tried juicing some in my Cuisinart juicer once. but i would be afraid I may damage it if i tried juice more than a 2' stalk. 

• Can't you just chew the tissue and suck out juice?

I remember doing that as a child. Eons ago
  • Somewhere, in the deep recesses of my random trivia database, I seem to recall seeing this done with something like an old-timey laundry wringer. I believe they cut them length-wise, and the run them through. I'll have to Google around to be sure though.

This reply was deleted.