Cast Iron care

Hi All,   So this is my first experiance with a cast iron pan-I picked one up from the Salvation Army.  I seasoned it with oil and the oven however I'm confused on how to clean it and keep it seasoned.  I try to cook greasy foods (bacon) in it as suggested from another friend but how should I clean it and keep it seasoned at the same time?  Can anyone offer advice on this one?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A P.S. for everyone using cast iron - you actually add some iron to your meals by using cast iron for cooking.  Most of the time that is a really good thing, but there are occasionally folks who need to control their iron intake.
  • Thanks Ladies--you info comes in very handy!  I guess I've just heard stories of how hard they are to care for but it seems like it should be pretty easy.  No longer afraid to use it!!   LOL 
    • Hi Linda,

They really are easy to take care of as every one indicated.  I also grew up with them.  I personally never use soap.  Steel wool, or a bit of salt and paper towel to scrub, rinse with hot water, heat on the stove to make sure all the moisture is off and a dab of oil rubbed in with paper toweling.  Cool and store.  :-)

• I think that is were my confusion came in.  I thought that you were not to use soap but when I had items that stuck I would use the soap and thought that I had to reseason and I would think to myself "why does everyone say that this stuff is so great' hahaha.  Even when I would use the web to find advice it didn't seem like my questions were getting the right answers.   Thanks again-all the advice is great to know!

• Most of the time you can wash it with or without detergent, as noted, just by wiping it clean. I do it while it's hot to kill germs, etc. If you use detergent, you should rub oil on it again before storing.

When you have really tough stuff, heat it on the stove with a little detergent and enough water to cover the grime. Let it simmer until the crud comes off with a spatula. That way you can almost always avoid scrubbing with steel wool. Use steel wool as a last measure. Cast iron makes the best pots and pans, and it builds good arm muscles to boot! :)
  • I concur with the ladies.  Keeping it seasoned is not necessary, just a classic method.  I rarely cook with meat so seasoning doesn't matter for me - just a splash of olive oil keeps things easy. 

For care, there's no real magic to it.  You can wash it; dish soap, nothing special.  Brillo/steel wool will clean the tough stuff, then scrubber sponge, rag, whatever.  I usually wash mine while the pan is still warm, just to the point of handling.  That way it will air dry quicker (if you use really hot water to wash, it dries quick too).  Once dry, use a spritz/splash of olive oil/grease/whatever and a paper towel/rag to wipe, inside and out all over. 

I grew up using cast iron and the same pans still reside at my mom and grandma's homes.  (still sitting there, recently used, with the bucket o'Crisco close by...)

Enjoy it!

• I usually add a little vegetable oil and kosher salt to the pan and scrub with a damp kitchen rag. Then I rinse it then dry it really well. This usually cleans everything and leaves ready for use. I use it almost everyday and just gets better.

good luck

This reply was deleted.