Where to purchase

I am looking into placing my order for chicks... and I am debating between the online places. I am likely going to order the 25 and then split them with a friend of see if anyone wants any here... but I was thinking of just going with an assorted lot or layers.

Does anyone have a hatchery preference?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I almost exclusively go to Aden's (and I drive by two other feed stores to get there).  They have good hay prices, and get lay pellets from O.H.Kruse (Higley gets theirs from Hi-Pro...and my chickens won't touch the stuff).  I've gotten chicks from them before...I'm not sure the hatchery they get birds from...but they also have some that are hatched locally.  If they sold Lakin alfalfa pellets...I would shop there exclusively.
    • I called them and they have just a few chicks... some RIRs and Silkies.. but that's it until Spring. I was thinking it might be best for me to get a half dozen or so now... and then get more in the springtime? I really want some blue layers and some barred rocks... but the RIRs are good layers too, right?
  • My post office pretty much sucks.  I'd be afraid I wouldn't get them until 3 days later than scheduled no matter how the box was marked!
  • I do like getting them from feed stores...as they've already gotten them started, you can pick your own, and it's not much more expensive, but if you are set on placing an order:  make sure the hatchery has a live shipment guarantee (they'll refund your money if the birds are dead when you pick them up).  I've liked birds I've gotten from Ideal, Privett, J.M. Hatchery...I will never order birds from Murray McMurray again.  They are expensive, and all the birds ended up being terribly flighty and aggressive. 

Also be prepared to deal with self-righteous, rude, vegetarian postal workers.  Yes, there is a story there... :)

• I have pretty much the same question - looking for Rhode Island Reds.  I don't want to order online - does anyone have a good source?  I'm looking for age range chicks old enough to be outside to hens almost ready to start laying.

FYI - I saw some Plymouth Barred Rocks at the Pet Food Depot on Cave Creek Rd yesterday - looked like older chicks - I'd just prefer Rhode Island Reds.

• Sounds great Jennifer - but I'm looking for 3 total.  Am I going to have a problem introducing another hen into the mix with yours do you think?  I don't mind dominant that much - I used to have a husky and I kind of understand dominance battles I think :)  Just worried about introducing another.  I assume you're not fond of them for bossing the other chickens around and fighting?
    • No problem for me - I'm looking for livestock, not pets :)  They'll have a well built coop, be well cared for and fed, and allowed out in the yard to peck at the clover, mesquite pods and bugs and have a "happy chicken" life- but I'm not looking for something to socialize with particularly, and I don't have kids.  Just would like to know where my eggs are coming from :)

Please contact me off-topic and if you're happy with this, we can arrange things so you have a little more room :)   FYI - I am a first time chicken keeper - but I have cared for other animals before (cats, dogs, rabbit, horse, etc).

• I would just go to a local feed store.  There are lots of chicks there and you do not have to pay the shipping :)
This reply was deleted.