Truly organic feed?

I know that I am late in the game and that this has probably already been addressed. A friend told me something about genetically engineered foods. I order organic seeds for my garden and raise my own transplants, So I doubt that I am affected too much by this in that particular arena.

But I wonder about the food that I  feed my chickens. Is there a source of chicken feed that i do not have to be concerned about? 

Also, if the subject of  genetically engineered food is a topic of interest to anyone, I would like further education.

Thank you in advance. 

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you look on the main microlivestock page several of the feed stores have asterisks to denote that they carry USDA certified organic feed. I feed my chickens organic feed for the exact reason to avoid GMOs. Simply put, I don't want them in my system and I want to vote with my dollars against GMO's. Be prepared to pay between $25-$30 for a 50lb bag of organic feed versus $17 or so for conventional.
    • Thank you Rachael. I need all the help I can get. This is a great group!
    • Also, plant grass--that will save you a ton on the cost of feed--and it is organic as long as you don't put anything on it! Just don't buy the treated seeds from Home Depot :)
      Really anything green is great--clover, alfalfa, flax--just grow something--they can pretty much live off that! Give it lots of time to establish (2-3 weeks) before putting chickens on it or they'll scratch the little sprouts to death. And plant your winter rye very very thick. If it is 2-3 inches tall they won't scratch. When it gets really eaten down and short they will scratch it bad--so plant enough that they can never nibble it down that low or be prepared to fence them out so it can grow back in between grazings.
      peaceful valley organice (www.groworganic.com) sells an omega 3 chicken pasture blend and they also sell organic chicken feed but shipping could be expensive for that.
  • Most soy and corn in the market is GM (genetically modified). I buy organic chicken feed.
    You may want to check out this site, it will give you basic GM info.
    http://www.responsibletechnology.org
    • Thank you Doris.
    • Thank you Chris!
This reply was deleted.