Trapping Crickets or Other Insects for the Chickens

Last year I had a lot of crickets out in the coop area maybe due to the moisture from their mister. The problem was the crickets would only come out at night while the chickens were roosting. So, I set out a large glass bowl half filled with water and spread the coop litter to be even with the top edge of the bowl. The crickets would fall in the bowl but couldn't climb out of the smooth glass and would drown. The next morning the chickens would wake up and devour dozens of cricket floating right off the top of the water. Some of the crickets would sink to the bottom, so I would just pour it out that morning and they'd finish it up.This year I'm going to try a bug zapper in another area of the yard. I'll put some chicken wire underneath the zapper so that the wild birds can't get to the zapped insects. I'll then remove the chicken wire and the chickens will feast away.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I must have 100s, maybe even 1000s of crickets in the coop at night (ooh!), also all kinds of other bugs... By the time they come out , the chickens are already in their hen house. I have even gone out there with my sons w/ a flashlight and caught many with a cup and paper to trap them. I put them in a tin can with a lid and save them for their treat in the am. I have been searching everywhere for the perfect cricket trap! Soemthing easy, reliable, and not costly.... I'd love to hear more ideas!
  • Someone was selling a "cricket trap" on Craiglist. They said they use dog food as bait and somehow the crickets get in but they don't get out? Maybe use the piece of wood or rock idea and make it more enticing by placing a piece of dog food under it. I bought crickets as treats from Pratts, they are .12 each.
  • I really like your low tech cricket catcher idea. It relies on human input only.

The bug zapper requires energy, thus increasing the carbon footprint. Not to mention the energy it takes to make the device, which is completely forgotten in the equation of carbon footprints. Think mining for metals, factories, transportation to the store, and transportation to your home.

You can do the same idea by placing a piece of wood or a large rock. Wait a week or so to let the bugs show up under it. Free range your chickens and remove the rock or wood and let them eat the bugs right there. Low tech.
    • Ericka, those are excellent points about the zapper using energy. I am still trying to get away from my old ways of thinking! The wood trick is great even though it takes about a week. If I lay out four or five large boards, I'll have that many days a week with fresh insects!
This reply was deleted.