The Blended Family (Hens and chicks)

We have 3 Rhode Island Reds that are 1 year old and have been raising 4 chicks in a separate pen that are now about 10 weeks old.  The hens and chicks can see each other and have been bonding for about 2 weeks. I had built a chicken tractor for the hens that is now serving as the chicks home within the hens' 50 foot run. Do we need to wait until the chicks are full grown to let them all be together or should we try mixing them together sooner?  One of the chicks is a Brown Leghorn and seems a little aggressive.

Thanks for your help!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would definitely wait longer, I think Sheri's point about hers having an acre is a key difference, even though you have a nice-sized run. At least two more weeks, possibly four. RIRs aren't known for their cordiality.

• I usually wait until the younger ones are 18-20 weeks.  Then they can defend themselves and can eat the same food.

They always stay in their separate flocks but tolerate each other OK.

The last time I integrated, the boss of the pullets immediately took on the low hen in the older group.  The older hen won and that was that.  The hens sometimes chase off the pullets but don't pick on them.

• My experience has been to be very careful introducing chicks to hens. I'd really gauge it on the chicks size and self defense temperament. If they seem able to hold their own, try it but keep a close eye but if they are prone to being picked on, my experience is that chickens are worse than a school yard of teens. They smell weakness and attack.

• Susan,

We recently added four chicks to our flock and had them running around with the chickens earlier than 10 weeks. The hens should accept them readily, given what you've already done. They will follow the larger birds and will learn from them. Our older chickens have taught the chicks to stay out of the dog yard, off the patio, and to drink from the water nipples.

Keep in mind there is a "pecking order" in every flock. The hens will likely always be higher in the order than the chicks, and when they get annoyed they will peck the chick's head. The younger ones will squawk, but they aren't hurt. It's flock discipline. We have two roosts, and our older hens sit on the higher roost and won't allow the younger ones up there. The don't dare get too close to it. :)

The hens will no doubt put your little leghorn in her place, too. She may remain on the top of the pecking order with her peers, but she'll be lower in order than the older chickens.

• I should add a p.s. to this, given what others have said.

Yes, watch closely. Our birds have free range of an acre of land, so they have plenty of space. In a confined area they might not be as cordial. Also, different breeds have differing aggression levels, and each bird has her own personality. If you introduce them and the established hens give more than a parental peck or two, more time may be needed. Another idea: give the young'uns an escape hatch--a way to get away from the larger birds to a place they can't be followed. For example, adapt the door to the tractor so the larger birds can't get in, but they smaller ones can.

• I was wondering... would a flock of hens give a new rooster a hard time if I wished to introduce a new young rooster to the flock? I have no rooster at all right now. When I added new pullets to the flock last summer, ChickenStu was bent to kill them all, so I turned the tables on him and we ate him.

• I LOVE that name! We inherited a roo named Elvis. We learned later why he had that name. Sang ALL the time. So he ended up in the pot, but the poor boy was old and gangly, so he had no meat on him at all.

A rooster will only be henpecked until his testosterone starts to flow. As he goes through his "teens" he'll take on the position of alpha dog...or bird...unless there's a more powerful or established roo.

• Thanks so much for your help!  We will give it a try!

This reply was deleted.