Hello all, I am wanting to plant a large shade tree on the south side of the house to help give shade to my chickens in the summer. I would like a desert adapted fast growing tree. It would be specially nice if it gave seeds, fruit etc.....that the chickens could eat. I want to avoid anaything that drops poisoness berries etc....Any suggestions??

Thanks

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Beth,

The one that comes to my mind since you are saying desert adapted is one of the mesquite trees - generally faster growing and they are semi-deciduous - dropping much of their leaves during the winter, to let in sun.  They could peck at the fallen pods (when you don't harvest them and do something with them yourself).

If you want more normal, then maybe one of the desert adapted apples - deciduous in the winter to let in sun, fruiting in May/June/July (apples are also good for you for fresh eating tart/sweet crisp, apple sauce and apple pies/cobblers.).

I had a tangelo orange when I had my hens and it worked fine, although they never really were interested in the fruit, more any bugs on the fallen fruit.

Hope that helps.

• We have a great orange tree. The chickens love the oranges fresh and when they drop to the ground bugs come for those and the bugs make the chickens happy too. I just got done making some OJ with our tree and gave the pulp to the hens... They also like to eat the leaves. So that's my vote :)
This reply was deleted.