SB1151 Chickens in Arizona

I am sure that you are all aware by now of the Senate Bill 1151. We went to the capitol this last monday and spoke to the Senate Committee requesting them to pass this bill. They did pass it 7-0. This means that it will now go to the Caucus (the whole State Senate).

Of coarse we are asking that you write to your senators and ask them to support this bill.

Right now though, we are working closely with the Town of Gilbert. We are asking that they allow  up to 5 hens on lots that are at least 6,000 sf. We are also asking that they change the set backs. Did you know that currently in Gilbert chickens are only allowed on lots that are 20,000 sf. I know! I had no idea.

I would like to invite the Town of Gilbert Commissioners and Town Council to come on a field trip with me. I would like to invite some of you tour de coup people to participate. Those of you who are local to the Phoenix, Scottsdale area, on SF 6 or SF 7 lot. It does no good to take them to a real farm, we want them to see true backyard farms, that are neat, attractive, and quieter than the Chihuahuas that live next door to me. 

We hope to encourage this state one city at a time. Any takers?

Thank you for your help.   

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Catherine. There have been several articles written and many more to come. So far,so good but we expect opposition so get ready to have an answer for what you believe to be right. We are keeping a list on our fan page at The Home Grown Freedom Act.

Please come and join the fun.

• SaShaw,

You could pm me if you would like to give me your contact number. I am  working closely with Galen Luth. He and I will determine a route depending on who volunteers.

Thank you so much.

• Hi Donna,

I live downtown Phoenix and have friends in Gilbert that would love to benefit from being able to have chickens. I have three girls that are WAY quieter than the dog that barks four houses down from me across 7th Avenue! And would be more than happy to open up our "set up" as an example. We may be outside your route plans, but if that isn't the case, count me in!

• Post the address and names of who we have to write and/or email to make it easier for all of us to type out the letters real quick. Thanks!

• If you would like to go to the facebook page Backyard farmers United and ask to join. I will add you. That is where we have all the information posted. 

Thank you 

This reply was deleted.