Rabbits for meat

Is anyone raising rabbits for meat?  I ued to raise them  for meat and fur as a kid.  Here in Phoenix where heat can be an issue.  I see lots about chickens but not rabbits.  I am interested in finding

Giant Chinchilla Rabbits.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We used to have rabbits and used the cave system. Dug a 20 inchish deep trench inside their pen, dropped a slab of salvaged concrete over most of the hole and burried the rest with dirt except for an entrance. The rabbits did fine in the 100+ temps.

• Happy to report a low-tech heat solution to outdoor rabbits:  bury a terracotta vase (we used an old meat smoker) and form a tunnel from your regular hutch to the opening of your cool, underground bunny cave.  Ours is in a shady area of the yard.  sometimes I'd water the soil around it in hopes of making it even cooler in the hot summer months.

• Can you post a picture of your bunny cave? Sounds like a good idea.

• For meat rabbits, I don't have a buck, I was hoping to find someone who wanted to share in the bucks services until I get a heard started.
    • How far separated in the family tree do your breeding stock need to be?
    • Regularly breed father/daughter or mother/son.  Brother/Sister usually gives you the best or the worse. It also depends on the genetics involved.  Grandfather/Granddaughter, or Grandmother/Grandson works well too.
    • Okay, thanks Julie.
    • I also have a New Zealand Buck You can take him and use him for breeding.  I have bred him three times and all three does took. He is the only NZ I have and I really have too many bucks.  He is very sweet and easy to handle.   I do have a couple of  New Zealand Breeders  here is thier contact information

Lindsay
      www.freewebs.com/lindsayslops  She only has 8 week olds

bryan@smiles-n-sunshine.com  He has several does available.

If you are not set on new Zealands for Meat I have a couple of 4 month old American Blue Does They are a nice cross with New Zealand for meat.   

• Dylan,  you can use one of my Champagne bucks.
  • I want a somewhat pure female new zealand. Not show quality.

Thanks for the links.

This reply was deleted.