Purchasing Layers

I am trying to find a source to purchase 1 laying hen.  I have two and would like one more.  I have tried Pratts, but by the time I got there they were all sold (an hour after I called).  I personally don't like to buy from Pratts, but was willing to in order to get another hen.  My one hen is 3 yrs old, so not laying very often and my new one hasn't started laying yet.  Any known sources that sells them, or anyone willing to sell one?  We have a good home for them.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you so much for the quick response, I will call.
      P.S. Love your picture, I have a black lab mix, actually a smooth coat labradoodle, he looks mostly like a lab.
  • By your phrasing, I see she is no longer with you. Being a hard core dog person myself, my sincerest sympathy to you.
    We called Sharon, she was very nice and very helpful and we are going there tomorrow and will get 2!
    Even tho it will be awhile b-4 they start laying, I think the spread with what we have will be perfect.
    Our Jersey giant lays about 3 eggs a week, she is 3.5. Our new leghorn is ready to start laying. Again, thanks for the great advice.
  • I would like to caution anyone from buying a "layer" from any place or person where you don't know the provenance/chain of custody of the bird. People frequently sell their spent layers to feed stores and you also don't know what diseases/parasites the birds have been exposed to and potentially developed immunities to, but could still pass along to your existing flock. The feed lot is pretty good as far as this goes. Since it's a very small operation (mostly just Sharon) she can hopefully tell you about the origins of the stock. She also usually has started pullets, you'd still have to wait awhile to get them to lay (which you probably would anyway due to shortened day lengths unless you supplement light). That said, it's still a gamble. I hope an honest person with some clean and healthy hens steps up for you!
    • Many exhibitors/breeders will sell their extra birds who do not make the grade for exhibition. I also know several folks who hatch or purchase chicks to raise and sell at point of lay. There were several of these at the State Fair last week.
    • Gosh, so much good info. I feel very enligthened and really appreciate all the ideas and tips, and really appreciate this forum. Hopefully after our purchase from Sharon, we will be set for awhile, but at least I have some back-up now if I need it.
      Thanks all of you. I can't wait to go pick up my new chicks today, leaving to go in about 1/2 hour!!! My husband just finished getting an "intro" area ready in the coop.
    • Thanks Rachel for your insight. We did call Sharon and she was very helpful and informative, I feel very confident in purchasing from her. I absolutely abhor Pratts and how they handle their livestock.
  • You can check with BackYardChickens.com the Arizona thread under "where am I where are you?"
    There are often people on there who have pullets/hens for sale.
    • Thanks Becky, I will hang on to that info.
This reply was deleted.