Pecking Chickens....Help!

I have eight hens, 5 Barred Rock and 3 RIRs. All but one Barred Rock have no feathers on their back. I have tried and went through two bottles of Rooster Booster and am now trying Hot Pick. Nothing seems to work. One bird is looking very sad lately, even her wings and tail feathers seem to be thinning out. I have had them for about 5 months now and am concerned for there health. They are great layers and seem to be ok otherwise. Thanks for listening! Kel

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Replies

• Thank You Rachel!

• Headed to the feed store tomorrow to pick up some starter and no more treats!

• I don't want to put it into people's minds that veggie scraps are bad, just if you're having potential protein issues, it might be a good idea to cut down on them. You can always give them bug treats too!

• I understand what you are saying Rachel. I think in my case the possible lack of protein is at least part of the problem. I have them on chick starter and less treats. I was feeding them quite a bit of scraps thinking it made them happy and it would help make the crumble last longer. That seems to have back fired and caused them to peck more aggressively. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

• Are they missing feathers because the other hens are pecking them? Just to clarify, since that's what I assumed from the title of your post, but see you didn't mention it in the post itself. I'm no chicken expert, but it would seem odd to have four hens being picked on like that.

If they are moulting they won't be laying. How long has it been happening?

• It sounds like they might be moulting, perhaps?

Scroll through this page & you'll see a 1/2 naked barred rock during moult. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/580968/official-byc-contest-worst...
    Then go through the pages & look at some of the photos. Chickens can get pretty sad looking when they moult.

Does this fit your description?

• Im a total rookie/newbie at chickens, but from all of the articles I read, I was wondering if they had enough space in their coop/yard area?

This reply was deleted.