Nocturnal Chickens

It's freaking me out at bit so I'm here to make sure it's not a problem. I've been checking on our chickens at night and they are not bedded down. This isn't early evening either more like 9 or 10pm and some are roosting but others are drinking, eating, or I've even had one in the nesting box lay an egg after dark. This seems very odd to me. They are less active at night but still are quiet active at night since I thought they would all be asleep. Our last chickens did nothing at all at night. Is this perhaps because our run/coop is one now instead of two connected things? Or could it be they are getting too much light from the street? Should I do anything? It's pretty dark out there at night but not so dark I can't walk out without a flashlight I just have to move slow and be careful.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If the regular light is coming from a street light, contact the city and ask that they put a shield on the lights that fall onto your property.  This won't make it as dark as if the lamp didn't exist, but it should make a big difference.

In most cases street lights belong to the city, but if you live in a gated community, they may belong to your HOA.

• Oh no! What you have is a rare case of zombie chickens! Be very, very careful! And always have a large, sharp knife with you when you're around you. If they attack, the only way to stop them is to remove their heads. But don't let them draw blood, or you will be infected yourself! These are scary times we live in... when even our chickens are zombies!

On the other hand, it could just be the light... ;)

• Weird nothing is different tonight other than the moon that I can tell but I went out to check on their water and they didn't budge. It must be the light. Question, should I worry about it? Does it mean I need to find a way to block light into their coop/run or is it fine?

• If you're dealing with the moon, don't worry about it. If it's a permanent light source, I'd try blocking it somehow. Ernie... is right, it could affect their laying depending on the time of year. In the winter we add light to extend their "daylight" and increase egg production, but this time of year they don't need longer hours of light. I suppose partying all night on a regular basis could stress them as well, just as it does us. :)

• Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to spend a week or two just checking them out every night instead of this every now and then checking, so I can get an idea if this is most nights, or just bright moon nights or what. But I have a feeling I'll need to do something to block some light from the street for them.

• Only thing I can think of is that the extra activity in whatever light they find could affect their laying cycle.

• It has to be a light issue because chickens have very poor eyesight in the dark. When it gets dusk, they have a harder time seeing which puts them in danger of predators, so they head to the roost where they know they're safe. If there's enough light for them to walk around and get water, it's not too dark for their eyesight.

Can you test it out by covering the coop openings with blankets or something to block the light?

The only other possibility is Aaron's teenager idea. LOL!

• I agree, it has to be the light. If its too dark for chickens to see, they won't move...simple as that.

• I've seen some similar behavior among my chickens, too.  Some would come down to say hello if I go in there at night, and they tend to make excessive noises ("talking" or cackling) throughout the night, etc.  I haven't seen mine eating or drinking, but I imagine drinking H2O at night would be a good thing with our high overnight temperatures.

• The way I understand it chickens roost and wake up by the light they recieve. Sun goes down they roost, the sun comes up they jump down and are ready to go. Mine have even roosted on the ground before when they snook into my garden and couldn't get back out and I didn't get home to check on them till after dark. I would say they are getting light from the street lights or something else ??? or you have teenager chickens that sleep all day and stay up all night :) either way if they are healthy I wouldn't worry about it.

This reply was deleted.