My hen is passing broken eggs

I am hoping that someone will have some good advice for me. I have a 3-4 year old hen (she was given to us, so I'm not sure about her exact age) who has been laying broken eggs consistently. Today was the first day I've had to help her pass one in a long while (i.e. took out the plastic gloves and pulled out the soft shell), but since I don't see her eggs in the nest anymore, I'm assuming that this is a common/daily occurence for her. I did take her to the vet once, about 6 months ago, and gave her some antibiotics to prevent infection. Since that time she seems to have been able to fight off infection on her own. I know that this could change, and would be willing to take her to the vet if I found her to be lethargic, etc...She's not now-she's scratching around the yard with her sisters. I've done a bit of research, and came upon something called Egg Drop Syndrome. I'm wondering if this is her problem, and if she could possibly give it to the other girls. Does anyone have any experience with this, and is there anything I can do to help her? I'll keep her even if she doesn't lay, but I'd love to cut down on her chances of dying from infection. All advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Allison

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I had soft shells for a bit but my ladies were yonger. I put out some osyter shells and it cleared right up. Sadly, I agree, it could be age.
  • I have to concur with Ed. I'm guessing she's having problems because of her age, not infections or diseases.

It really sounds like her biggest problem is insufficient calcium (possibly do to age, but not necessarily). Do you supplement her feed with oyster shells? We save our eggshells, toast them, and give them back to the birds. Whatever you can do to increase her calcium intake...even giving her yogurt will help. These things will give her the calcium she needs to build stronger eggs which she might be able to pass nicely. If you're already giving her a lot of calcium, she her little body might not be able to convert it to eggshells anymore. A lot of us girls change with age. :)

As far as the chicken's age, the third year of laying is when they start to decline in production, typically. Now, chickens can live up to 20 years, and can lay eggs for a good part of that time. However, you may only get a couple eggs/week during their 3rd year, and one/week in their 4th year...or none at all. Each bird is unique, but ultimately, you'll have to decide how much food and time you're willing to invest for the number of eggs you get, and the risk to the bird in passing faulty eggs. Another problem with her passing weak eggs is they're very likely to break in the nest and the birds will eat them, which encourages them to eat their own good eggs.

We cull our girls in their 3rd year of laying (at about 3-3.5 yrs of age), but if they're still productive, we'll go another year or we'll give them to a new chicken owner as a "learning bird."

• She's getting up there. Not certain what your plans are but hens don't lay forever.
    Chickens are usually culled at the egg factory after 1-2 years. Production falls off.
This reply was deleted.