Looking for local/raw sources

My wife is predominantly raw vegan, and we recently moved to Phoenix.

She is looking to slowly integrate raw goats milk/cheese and perhaps local organic eggs. Are there individuals here that have very small backyard operations that may be able to help supply us?

Thanks! You all are great!

John

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My place is called Back In Time Farm, an acre which is home to meat and milk goats, meat and milking sheep, their kids and lambs, turkeys, chickens and their eggs,and pigs in the cool months, rounded out with all sorts of citrus and fruit trees and a vegetable garden. I live mainly on what I produce. When there is a surplus I will share it with those in need. When sharing milk products it MUST be in a legal manner which is the ONLY way I share. The laws are there for good reason, mainly to protect us from potential illness. In order to produce clean, wonderful tasting milk you must follow a stringent practice in both milking of the animal and the proper cooling and storage of the product. Give me a call where I can explain the procedure in detail. Don't ever purchase milk from anyone who cannot provide you with labratory reports on the health of the milk produced. Bobbie at 480-892-2604 East valley just off Val Vista and US 60
    • hi,  a few years ago we made the switch to raw milk for health reasons.  My daughter would react to cow milk.  After a few years on raw milk she began to react more strongly to it (hives) and I did as well.  We switched to raw  goat because that helped when she was a baby, but not this time.  She still reacts but not as much as cow milk so we stopped the milk entirely.  At that time we found she is allergic to several different foods including beef (the meat itself).  Since then we have found that she can have sheep's milk yogurt and cheese with no problems.  It sounds strange but the makeup is completely different..  (she also has an egg allergy but we have found that if the chickens aren't given soy in their feed she is not allergic! - fine for at home since we have chickens and can buy from certain famers at the market when our girls aren't laying)      I do fine on sheep as well.  As for my other children, one has a bit of a sensitivity (she doesn't drink it but does have cheese) and my youngest reacts much like his sister did when she was younger so we try not to give him any.  I keep wondering if he will develop more severe reactions like his sister. 

We do miss having fresh milk.  Not to mention I wonder about my daughter's nutrition without it.  While sheep yogurt and cheese are readily available, no one has sheep milk.   Do you use your sheep milk solely for cheesemaking or is it possible to purchase some to try?

• Hi Gina, When my ewe weans her lambs I usually milk her for a few months. The sheep milk is a wonderful addition to goat and cow for a mixed milk cheese. I usually don't drink it (have goat and cow milk in quantity) but did taste it this spring. Yummy sweet and clean tasting!  I have hair sheep versus wool sheep I find their meat cleaner tasting and now the milk better than I expected. This year I froze a lot of her milk but have yet to thaw it other than some for cheese. She is due to have babies again in two months so in 4 months I will again have fresh milk.

• Where are you in the valley? I have organic eggs. Chicken and quail.
    • thank you so much folks for the responses!

We are in Tempe, Broadway and I-10. I know there were tours recently, but how would you feel if her and I gave your little operation a visit sometime?

• This is a great source if you are on the east side:

http://theorganicsaladgarden.com/

• I have also been looking into where to get raw goat's milk, as I have read alot about the benefits and would like to try to incorporate it into my diet. Unfortunately, it seems to be very hard to come by! From what I have read, a farm called "Save your Dairy" in Queen Creek sells raw organic cow milk for $10/gallon. http://saveyourdairy.com/ 

As for the goat's milk... I've not been able to find it raw. One dairy goat farm told me I'd be better off just getting my own goats because it is a very controlled substance. Crazy, huh?!

I stumbled across this site a while back: http://www.goatmilkandcheese.com/RawMilk.html  It looks like they sell raw goats milk at a farmer's market... but it's in Tucson. And who wants to drive 2 hours each way every week to get milk?! It would be neat if enough people were interested we could take turns driving down to pick up each week... if they are really selling it there.

I never imagined something as natural as raw milk would be so hard to come by!

Keep us updated on your search! I've lived in Phoenix for 6 years but am just starting to really make an effort to eat better, healthier, organic, locally grown and raised foods. So I too am always looking for new resources. The Roadrunner Park farmer's market and Downtown Phx Public Market are great. There's always eggs there, though you will usually pay $5 - $6 / dozen. I am currently looking into getting chickens for my backyard :-)

Katie

Save Your Dairy Provides Raw Milk
    Save Your Dairy provides Fresh Raw Milk.
    • I have milking goats and milking sheep (feta is made from sheep milk), chickens, eggs, turkeys, lambs and both meat and milk goats. There is a LEGAl way to get you raw goat milk. That is the ONLY way I help people out who are in need of it. You may phone me at 480-892-2604 for the details.

Bobbie

• Bobbie,

Great, thank you very much!

• You are always welcome to come tour the place and meet me. I work by appointment only so please give a call to schedule a time................480-892-2604
This reply was deleted.