Livestock Vacation Care Swap Idea

Hi Folks,

Recently a member posted about his search for goat breed recommendations.  Along with that request came the very important question about what he should do if they go on vacation.

If any of you came to that question AFTER you got goats, chickens, or other livestock and realized that getting out of town for a rest was now a very real challenge, then you can appreciate that it is a good question to ask FIRST.

So the idea in that post was:   could we have regional vacation swap care where 2 or more livestock owners take turns caring for each others livestock on a planned schedule (or even an unplanned emergency).

Here is my suggestion for consideration and comment:  regional means first divide the valley into some informal areas:  east, west, north, south and center.  We might need subgroups for this.

This has to be approached on some kind of fair and balance swap: someone with 15 goats, with 7 in milk has to be realistic in asking a single 2 goat owner to take care of their critters for 2 weeks.  The 2-goat owner may find it a fun challenge or decide they were being taken advantage of.

One of my goat-owning friends takes her milkers to another owner who gets to keep the milk for feeder use, while her non-milkers are taken care of my other family members.

That brings up elements of how the swap works. Does the care-giver go over to the other place, or does the vacationer take all their critters (or some) over to the care-giver?

Me personally:  I do not currently have any livestock although we are looking a getting a few hens or ducks for eggs.  I do not plan on having goats again (although I miss them) but might be interested in caring for a couple on my side of town (east) if this swap idea gets going.

What do you all think?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would like to be added to the spreadsheet! I'm still building pens and fencing off the future "free range" areas of my yard, and I've promised my fiance that I would wait to get animals until AFTER the wedding/honeymoon- I plan on getting chickens, and eventually hopefully goats!

but in the meantime I'd be happy to help out- I have experience with chicken and quail, and I'm learning about goats. Not necessarily ready to babysit any goats yet, but I hope to get to that point sometime soon :) Would love a milking lesson or any other goat related hands-on lessons!

cross streets are Cactus/Tatum

Thanks for putting together the list!

• Hello,

Please add me to the spreadsheet.  North / Cave Creek / Desert Hills.  24th st & Carefree Hwy.  I have 4 dogs, 2 goats and chickens.

I am looking forward to helping out.   Please email me for private contact information.  I'll gladly provide for the spreadsheet.

• Please add us to the spreadsheet. Mark and Kelly Stephens, vicinity of 24th Street and Osborn Road in central Phoenix. We have 4 hens, 2 dogs and 1 cat.

• Thanks, Kelly! I already had ya on there, but have updated the intersection.

• I would like to add myself also. I have 4 dogs, 2 parrots and 4 chickens and im located at 67th Ave and Indian School Rd.

• LOVE it!! We have 6-8 Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats, 20 or so chickens, 5 ducks, 3 turkeys, 3 dogs and a cat. We live near 7th St and Southern.

Thank you! What a great idea!

I've started a Google spreadsheet with the folks who have already entered locations and animals. I'm happy to volunteer to organize it and send it out to those who are interested, if folks are comfortable with that??

Either way, I'm happy to set one up for my area at the very least.

Anyone near the South Mountain?

• Laura,

Me too! Add me to the spreadsheet.

North- Cave Creek.

Jeanette

• Gotcha! ;)

• Laura, the spreadsheet sounds like a great idea~

• Hi Folks,

Since I posted this thread/topic last summer quite a few of you have noted you like the idea.  Here is what I would suggest at this point.  Repost a short note with your intersection and city and the type of livestock you have then we can all see who we are near and what mutual help can be arranged.

Brown & Crismon, Mesa - currently no livestock but could possibly help out.

This reply was deleted.