Livestock Vacation Care Swap Idea

Hi Folks,

Recently a member posted about his search for goat breed recommendations.  Along with that request came the very important question about what he should do if they go on vacation.

If any of you came to that question AFTER you got goats, chickens, or other livestock and realized that getting out of town for a rest was now a very real challenge, then you can appreciate that it is a good question to ask FIRST.

So the idea in that post was:   could we have regional vacation swap care where 2 or more livestock owners take turns caring for each others livestock on a planned schedule (or even an unplanned emergency).

Here is my suggestion for consideration and comment:  regional means first divide the valley into some informal areas:  east, west, north, south and center.  We might need subgroups for this.

This has to be approached on some kind of fair and balance swap: someone with 15 goats, with 7 in milk has to be realistic in asking a single 2 goat owner to take care of their critters for 2 weeks.  The 2-goat owner may find it a fun challenge or decide they were being taken advantage of.

One of my goat-owning friends takes her milkers to another owner who gets to keep the milk for feeder use, while her non-milkers are taken care of my other family members.

That brings up elements of how the swap works. Does the care-giver go over to the other place, or does the vacationer take all their critters (or some) over to the care-giver?

Me personally:  I do not currently have any livestock although we are looking a getting a few hens or ducks for eggs.  I do not plan on having goats again (although I miss them) but might be interested in caring for a couple on my side of town (east) if this swap idea gets going.

What do you all think?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Where are you located?  I may take you up on that :)
  • This is a great idea. The first thing my parents asked after I told them I was getting chickens was, "What are you going to do with them when you travel?" I guess that rules my parents out. I plan on getting about 6 chickens, I have a garden, a dog and a kitty. I don't know anything about goats but would love to learrn about them. I am in Central Phoenix.

• It would be great if this movement could take on some steam.  I have a garden, some chickens, goats and 4 dogs.  For me to "hire" a house sitter it costs me over a $100 a day.  Needless to say my husband and I haven't been anywhere in 3 years, and we have 2 timeshares.   Although thanks to a new friend she did just sit for 2 days this pass week. Actually got to go to Big Bear with grandchildren for a quick trip.  But I can't abuse that new friendship just because I want to get out of town.

I would love to help others in this situation as well.  If any takers I'm in Desert Hills (just west of Cave Creak and south of Anthem).

Peggy

• Peggy,

I'm in Cave Creek. I have 16 chickens ( most under 6 months). I board my dog so no worries there.

• This is a great idea - especially if the care-giver gets to keep eggs or milk produced.  Garden caregivers might also be a good sideline.

I have two chickens - and we've got a waterer attached to our hose, and a large feed container that works for two days.  I have a non chicken owning friend who has taken care of them along with my cats (chickens are easy).  But it would be nice to have a backup.

Also - if the owner would train ahead of time, it might be a good way for someone to test whether they want to own the animal in question (for a short care session).  They could leave an emergency help phone number for in person help in the area (someone who can't come out every day, but could come out if there is trouble).  Personally, I don't own goats, but would love to eventually.  It would be great to learn how to milk, etc.

• Hi Karen,

I too have someone to take care of my cats and she would enjoy taking care of my hens (again - she did before), so I'm good there.  I loved my goats, but it is not practical for me to have them again.

I think 'training' is an excellent idea - with that in mind - potential care-givers can be people who are thinking about owning a goat - like you said - and can learn and 'do' first hand by taking care of someone else's.

I learned how to take care of my goats by taking "goat lessons" from the gal I eventually bought from.  IT was a win/win for both of us as she got help and I got an education.

This reply was deleted.