Livestock Vacation Care Swap Idea

Hi Folks,

Recently a member posted about his search for goat breed recommendations.  Along with that request came the very important question about what he should do if they go on vacation.

If any of you came to that question AFTER you got goats, chickens, or other livestock and realized that getting out of town for a rest was now a very real challenge, then you can appreciate that it is a good question to ask FIRST.

So the idea in that post was:   could we have regional vacation swap care where 2 or more livestock owners take turns caring for each others livestock on a planned schedule (or even an unplanned emergency).

Here is my suggestion for consideration and comment:  regional means first divide the valley into some informal areas:  east, west, north, south and center.  We might need subgroups for this.

This has to be approached on some kind of fair and balance swap: someone with 15 goats, with 7 in milk has to be realistic in asking a single 2 goat owner to take care of their critters for 2 weeks.  The 2-goat owner may find it a fun challenge or decide they were being taken advantage of.

One of my goat-owning friends takes her milkers to another owner who gets to keep the milk for feeder use, while her non-milkers are taken care of my other family members.

That brings up elements of how the swap works. Does the care-giver go over to the other place, or does the vacationer take all their critters (or some) over to the care-giver?

Me personally:  I do not currently have any livestock although we are looking a getting a few hens or ducks for eggs.  I do not plan on having goats again (although I miss them) but might be interested in caring for a couple on my side of town (east) if this swap idea gets going.

What do you all think?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Chris, I loved our muscovy when we had them.  They are little manure generators :-) but that is good for your compost pile and gardens.

All, I hope this becomes a good enough idea to have its own group - as passionate as we are about our critters and gardens, we still all need a break.

• I also think this is a great idea! We have 2 dogs, a cat and now 4 chicks (8 weeks old). We've swapped pet care with a neighbor for years and they plan to have chickens "soon" so I will be sure to share this great idea with them if it is implemented. I am in Central Phoenix. I'd like to learn about the goats and other micro-livestock, as we hope to move to the Verde Valley area in the not too distant future for some country living in semi-retirement.

• WE also live in central phoenix--we have ducks, dog. I wonder if you have move to Verde Valley yet or are still in Phoenix.

• Has this gotten started?  I would like to participate.

• Fred - it has not formally been done, but you might post what you need or what you might want to provide and what side of town or cross streets you are near.  If you note some of the folks were trying to connect through this discussion.

• I think this is a great idea! It's one of the primary reasons we haven't tried having a goat yet.
  • Great idea!!  Count me in.  I can not have goats where I am but am planning chickens for later this fall (if it ever cools off) and have really been concerned about care for them when I'm travelling.  Would be delighted to be part of a goat/chicken/duck/whatever care coop.  I'm in the east/central valley.

HL

• I'm in. I have young adult children who still eat a lot. I'll learn how to milk goats if someone would check in on my human kids... only kidding. With our schedules, we are generally good with having at least one of us home. I'm in northwest Phoenix and would be glad to be a sitter if it's close by.
  • I think this is brilliant!  What a wonderful idea...I never get away (mostly due to school or work) but when my goats are in milk...I have no choice but to stay in town. 

I live in Central Phoenix right down town...7th st and Portland st.

• anyone who wants to learn how to milk a goat come on by!

This reply was deleted.