I have a big open back yard near the capitol. The yard was hard packed dirt with glass and garbage mixed in when I got here. I have been working on raking and sifting, and now planting some trees, grass, shrubs. I just want two to four hens at once, free roaming in the yard, but with a coop for them to roost in. What's a good way to get started on this? Is there something I can plant in the yard for them to eat, in advance of getting chickens?

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I really want to let them eat greens and fresh vegetation from the yard, as well as having a grain based feed. Is there anything common in my yard that would kill a chicken or anything I can plant that they naturally eat? Any ideas on chicken crops?
    I much prefer the flavor of eggs and the chicken meat when they eat lots of greens throughout their lives, gives the yolks a tastier, velvety texture.
    • You really need to focus on your soil at this point IMHO. The dirt there in your photos looks extremely neglected, and if you want chickens to free range, then you will have to provide something for them to range on first.

Chickens love bermuda grass. Easy to grow here in the valley, not a lot of care needed, and did I mention that chickens love bermuda? :) Bermuda is dormant right now, but this would be an excellent forage for your hens in the summer.

Cover crops work well too. This is the time for cool season cover crops like oats, vetch, cow peas, and rye grass. Broadcast the seeds over a well raked yard and cover with nice compost. water and keep moist for a week or so and they will start to grow.

Your other option is to create a coop and supply your hens with alfalfa hay and your basic layer feed. You can always see if a local restaurant or grocery store will give you their old greens and cut offs. A nice addition to their diet.

Shade will be key in keeping your hens alive and well in the summer, never can have too much shade for them.
    • That's awesome. The pictures of the yard are two years old or so. Since then I have some great bermuda/fescue growing on one side of the yard. A nitida fig, rosemary, sage, some bottle brush. All of them are just starting out though, and aren't much good for shade yet.

Great advice, lots to consider. I think I can do this right, and with a little experience we'll get it down. Thank you.

• Those pictures are from two years ago, so there has been a lot of work on the soil in that time. But yes it still sucks, comparitively. I have been green mulching cover crops and nitrogen fixing the soil for some time to get some of the dark rich soil I prefer.

• http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5724178/raising_backyard_c...
    Here are the instructions for the self waterer....and if you need a free 5 gallon bucket with a lid, let me know -
    • I can always use an extra 5 gal bucket with lid or two, if you have some spares.
  • My advice would be to get those trees in with a little maturity first. We have a very heavily shaded yard, and the chickens still seem to suffer terribly in the summer with the heat. Without some serious shade, or an airconditioned coop, you would surely lose them the first summer. My advice would be to spend the first year amending the dirt, and getting some shade trees. Mesquite trees grow pretty quickly, especially if you water them, and give some great filtered shade. If you want to be inspired about what can go from dirt to amazing in a short time, visit Singh farm - Saturdays 8 - 1, Thomas Rd and the 101. He also sells great compost by the truckload.

You can also build a shade structure of course.... but plants cool the best.
    • I agree with Chris on the sex links. Incredible production! Mine started laying at 17 weeks of age...and are the only ones that lay through the winter. Mine are from Privett hatchery if anyone's curious.
    • Great advice, I may pick your brain for more hints as I progress. First things first, time to build a nice, shady, misty coop.
    • Check out the photos from the Tour de Coops (on this site, under most recent) - and definately check out the one whose photos start with the letter C - he has a great watering system, apparently directions on the internet. I will find out where, and post the link.
This reply was deleted.