Hens not laying....since June???????

My girls stopped laying back in June. I assumed it was the heat. They were all about 28 months old at the time. I sort of thought this might be normal considering the heat. Yesterday I noticed that one of my girls is really getting skinny. She eats & drinks, but her comb is pale. They have all been molting the last month or so. One of the workers at Western Ranchman told me she didn't think it was normal for them to stop laying for so long.

Did anyone else experience a no lay summer?

It is possible I had a rat eating the eggs early in the summer, but I think we got rid of him/them (or effectively blocked their passage into the hen house.)

Only one of my girls has a bright red comb, but she is molting.

I am thinking worms?? Maybe?

Based on extensive research I am doing a 2 part worming treatment. Today I started them on Wazine 17 for 24 hours. I will follow that up with Panacur in 10 days.

I am curious and interested in any feedback anyone has.

Also, I have 4 week old baby girls that will be moved to the larger hen house in a few weeks. (we are building a retirement home for the other 3). I need/want to sterilze the old coop. Anyone have experience with that too?

Hugs & Thanks !!!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Linda, it sounds like your girls are in chicken heaven :-)

• Hi Catherine,

I'm afraid I'll get labeled as "the crazy chicken lady!"  :-0

• Beth, your 2 year old girls will lay less and less as they get older, and you may have been 'caught' between the heat and then their molt cycle.  They will not lay during molt and it lasts approximately 14 weeks.  Rachel will have better information for you on the 'pale girl' - sorry for that - and the worming while molting questions.  Good luck.

• Hi, Beth. Ours slowed way down late in the summer & still haven't picked up again. Others I know are experiencing the same thing. Yes, they stop during the summer & I expected them to be back up by now, but we're at about 50%-75%, depending on the day. I'm being patient because I know they're good and healthy. It should be interesting to hear others chime in.

This reply was deleted.