Hens not laying....since June???????

My girls stopped laying back in June. I assumed it was the heat. They were all about 28 months old at the time. I sort of thought this might be normal considering the heat. Yesterday I noticed that one of my girls is really getting skinny. She eats & drinks, but her comb is pale. They have all been molting the last month or so. One of the workers at Western Ranchman told me she didn't think it was normal for them to stop laying for so long.

Did anyone else experience a no lay summer?

It is possible I had a rat eating the eggs early in the summer, but I think we got rid of him/them (or effectively blocked their passage into the hen house.)

Only one of my girls has a bright red comb, but she is molting.

I am thinking worms?? Maybe?

Based on extensive research I am doing a 2 part worming treatment. Today I started them on Wazine 17 for 24 hours. I will follow that up with Panacur in 10 days.

I am curious and interested in any feedback anyone has.

Also, I have 4 week old baby girls that will be moved to the larger hen house in a few weeks. (we are building a retirement home for the other 3). I need/want to sterilze the old coop. Anyone have experience with that too?

Hugs & Thanks !!!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sounds more like age and Coccidiosis. http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

• They don't have any symptoms like coccidiosis : drooping, blood in the poop, huddling etc.....

• Most chickens will not be exhibiting the severe signs of coccidiosis, unless they are on the verge of death. Mild to moderate cases will cause all of the symptoms listed for these hens and are the leading cause of low or lack of egg production any where chickens are raised. The most common time for them to be showing a chronic case of this is around 3 years of age. Coupled with the age of the birds it is high on the list. The only way to actually determine if it is the cause is to look at the gut of the bird after it is dead. :(

Coccidiosis is very common here. Some mistakenly believe it is too dry for it to survive here, not true. Anywhere that you have any greens growing, even weeds, or water from any source you will have it in the soil.

• Thanks for the info, I did start them on Sulmet yesterday. We will see what happens.   :)

• One thing to verify is if "everyeone "is using the same feed from the same source.  If this is GMO  it is bad bad bad. and most of the corn and soy is GMO especially in the USA.  It has to say NON GMO on the corn to be sure. do your homework We just ordered organic/non gmo.  HOwever, some GMO mutations can alter animals and human DNA forever, so damage could be done- studies can prove it.  We hope this is not the case - please share in the results, we will do the same.  Read Genetic Roulett,  jeff m smith, it will blow your mind.

• To clarify- all organic feed is non-GMO, essentially all conventional feed is GMO, I have never seen any feed labeled "non-gmo". Stick with organic and you can be sure to avoid the GMO problem. As much as I despise GMOs, the reason most people's birds aren't laying is because of the decreased daylight... I wish I could blame it on Monsanto, but this is one thing I probably can't pin on them.

• :-)

• What is the cheapest organic feed, and where do you buy it?  

• I get mine from Azure Standard.com but last I checked Higley Feed carried it. (call first)

I don't know which is the cheapest.  

• Rachel, i am with you all the way! thanks for the clarification and despising Monsanto!

This reply was deleted.