Gilbert wants to ban roosters

My fellow critter keepers:

The Town of Gilbert is considering banning the ownership of roosters even on horse properties. They have received 16 complaints regarding noise & compliance. In  a conversation with one town planner I was told that 2 roosters per acre lot was going to be the max allowed. That I could keep my rooster in a small container to prevent him from stretching his neck so he could not crow. That guinea fowl and peacock were next because they were anoying, too.

Bottom line: if we do not call, email or show up at town meetings, we are going to lose our rights to keep farm animals in Gilbert. What's goint to be next? A muffler for my cow? Duct tape on my turkey's?

Please help!

Annabelle Pattison

Council meetings are Mondays & Thursdays @ 7pm

Please call or email the Town of Gilbert Mayor & Council Members:

Mayor John Lewis
(480) 503-6860 (Municipal Center - Office)
John.Lewis@gilbertaz.gov

Vice Mayor Les Presmyk
(480) 892-0779 (Home)
(480) 503-6764 (Municipal Center - Office)
Les.Presmyk@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember Linda Abbott
(480) 892-3486 (Home)
(480) 503-6601 (Municipal Center - Office)
Linda.Abbott@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember Ben Cooper
(602) 689-8393 (Cell)
Ben.Cooper@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember Dave Crozier
(623) 393-6820 (Work)
(602) 568-7338 (Cell)
Dave.Crozier@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember Jenn Daniels
(480) 205-9685 (Cell)
Jenn.Daniels@gilbertaz.gov

Councilmember John Sentz
(480) 545-5529 (Home)
(480) 503-6605 (Municipal Center - Office)
John.Sentz@gilbertaz.gov

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, they are making a "study". Reviewing additional "information". Not sure that they won't tackle it later.
    • As a matter of fact I have two beautiful ones. Top milking lines. You can see pictues @ www.veteransranch.com or call me 480-694-8513.
      Home
  • Thank you for posting this, Annabelle! As a Gilbert resident, this boils my blood too. I will be definitely talking to my neighbors and voicing my opinions to the powers that be. My first stop will be my neighbors, the Flakes...aunt & uncle to our congressman, Jeff Flake. I've seen our mayor over there on several different occasions.

I'll be the squeakiest wheel I can be!
    • Thank you so much! Please don't forget to email the Town Coucil. They have heard it from me. Rumor has it somebody lives near peacocks and they are in the chopping block, too. Make time to go to any Town Council meeting and speak up. At the begining of each meeting they have a reserved time for citizens and as long as the item is not on the agenda, you can speak. The horse properties and the county islands are under constant attack from people that move in for the privacy but don't want the animals and they can make your life miserable! My husband is a disable veteran with severe PTSD and will die wothout his animals.
  • For the best impact, Gilbert residences need to really step up on this. Most cities already do not allow roosters (like Scottsdale) so our voice really does not carry the same clout as the people who live in your city of Gilbert. Nothing ticks off a body of deciders like outsiders telling them what to do. We don't elect them, Gilbert people do.

My advise? Knock on your neighbors doors, and start connecting your locals. The people of Gilbert need to be the letter writers, phone callers, and the people who show up to the council meetings. Gilbert was one of the original agricultural towns, it is a part of the history. If they have 16 complaints, to the city council that is a lot of complaints! Now you need at least 16 locals in support to prove your case. Be the spark Annabelle!
    • Thanks! Please email our Town Council even if you don't live in Gilbert.
    • I think the problem here is not with the politicians, but rather the people who move to areas and attempt to change them. There are many examples in the east valley of developers creating communities next to dumps, dairies, junk yards, and other 'undesirable' community features. Politicians respond to those who voice an opinion eloquently. As the demographics of a city changes, the zoning laws are updated to reflect these changes in response to complaints. The issue here is the original zoning creates an entitlement, one that can be taken away if few people voice their concerns. It can be legally argued stripping that entitlement from people will create a financial hardship and diminished property values.

For those serious about keeping your priviledge, I advise getting organized with likeminded city residents and making friends with those who sit on the fence. Consider connecting with your council members and having them over for a tour to demonstrate why livestock is an important part of your life and how you manage any problems. If the zoning is in the process of being changed and you have enough people who are outraged, your organized group can then threaten a lawsuit. Oftentimes, this will keep your rights in place. If you don't have much support for your position and feel strongly, it's time to move :(
    • Thanks! Please email the Town Council eben if you don't live in Gilbert.
    • You are so right! Please help by sending an email to the Town Council. Thanks!
This reply was deleted.