fussy old hen

Hi there everyone. Thanks for the welcome. I really love my chickens. I just picked up two 2 month old barred rocks and they are sooo much fun. Unfortunately, my year old hen, Lovie, is more than unhappy with the new additions. I am keeping them separated until the little ones grow up a bit. Any suggestions?Delete Comment

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for all the good advice. I have the pullets separated and am going to add two more this weekend. Then let them grow for a couple of months at least before I try to introduce them again. I was down to one hen and worried she needed a flock. Although I expected some pecking until the order was established, I didn't forsee the agressivenss on her part. What an adventure!
    Laura
    • Another way to do it...

Put the new birds in the established "chicken area"...separate the dominant chicken for a week or so. Then add her back to the chicken area. That can throw her off just enough that the hierarchy will balance out (without anyone getting picked on). This is a good way to do the job quickly, as sometimes a temporary change of scenery for the aggressive dominant bird is all it takes...but it *might* throw her into a molt.
    • Thanks Bethany. That makes sense! She is a year and hasn't molted yet. I appreciate you sharing the wisdom.
      Laura
  • It's good if they can see and hear each other but yet are still separated like with chicken wire. When I integrate new hens I find that it takes at least a couple months. Then I remove the separation under supervision a little each day until the new pecking order is established and they can tolerate each other. This has worked for me but I have a very large coop. It takes time and patience to integrate new birds into an existing flock. At least give the new pullets a chance to grow up to the same size as the older hen.
This reply was deleted.