feather plucking - help!

Well I guess I can pick brains on the tour tomorrow, but figure I'll post here as well....
Went to let the (2) girls out this afternoon and found a bunch of feathers in the coop from our silver-laced wyandottte (1 yr old). she looked okay, but upon examination found that halfway down her breast and onto her belly she has plucked herself clean - she covers it up with other feathers somehow though, so looking at her you'd never know it.
I saw two small (less than a dime size) areas of redness, one darker than the other, but not appearing to be bloody or woundlike - more irritation perhaps? Not really sure.

Differences as of late: we've had longer days at work so over the past two weeks the girls have had more days where they don't get out of the coop (the coop is quite large for just the two of them though) also we've noticed lately that when they do get out the wyandotte has been very "spastic" - flapping and running around "like a crazy chicken" (as we've commented). Her behavior makes us laugh, but now I wonder if it's not related somehow because it's definitely been more crazy then their normal antics.

We feed organic layer pellets. She is laying regularly (according to her normal standards with just a bit less due to shorter days I assume).

Any advice?
Thanks!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sounds like pecking because of the wounds. One of mine is losing feathers right now because she is moulting, but there is no redness involved. I have had them peck at each other, but not themselves before. Maybe when you have a little time you could sit and watch who is doing the pecking. You could get some pepper spray from the feed store. It makes them stop pecking. When one of mine does peck the other I notice it is because they don't have enough space. I once noticed it even when there was enough space, but less than they were used to. Mine are now used to free ranging all day on the side yard. They don't even go in their coop when it rains. They just get soaked under a tree.
    • Chris -
      I see no mites and today saw that our other hen (RIR, just slightly older) is also "bald" in the same breast area. Now I'm thinking this is their first molt?!?!? Obviously I'm paying attention to this and the feathers are really just falling out - they flap and a couple go flying, or I pick them up and end up with a few feathers left behind on my shirt/hands.
      So ... I'll do some more research on molting, but will gladly take advice as well. One of my biggest questions is do I need to be concerned about keeping them warm if they'll be losing their nice feathery sweaters? :)
      Thanks!
This reply was deleted.