Domestic Turkey Needs a Home...free

I know that the more skilled poultry people out there are laughing at me, but instead of turning out to be a rooster one of our small backyard hens has turned out to be a turkey.  Not even close to a chicken, I know!  In our defense she must have been mixed up at the feed store.  Although she seemed a bit off from the others I honestly didn't realize the mix up until a couple weeks ago.  We are just not equiped to raise a turkey (female).  My kids are heart-broken to give her away (she is the most docile of the flock).  She is 10 weeks old right now and just beginning to look like a turkey and less like a dinosaur.  I have included a picture of her.  I would love for her to go to a happy home.  That's why I am crossing my fingers and hoping one of you wants her!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree you guys are right. She will get huge. She's already huge by chicken standards. It's really just too bad, but like I said we are ill equiped to take proper care of her.

Bethany- Could we make arrangements to bring her to you? Are you sure your offer is serious? I understand if you have second thoughts, but you sound the most prepared. So that makes you the proud parent of another turkey. You'll have 31!
    • My offer is serious. I'm out in Gilbert, and I'm a stay at home mom so am home all the time. We'll be gone all day Saturday, but other than that I'm free.

You can message me or e-mail me a day/time that works for you, and I will reply with my address.
    • Bethany, sorry for the late reply. Father's Day and all we got busy. I would love to bring her out. I'll send you a message now! Thanks.
  • Since you got her at a feed store, I'm 99% certain she's a broad-breasted white. I've got about 30 turkeys her age I could put her with if no one else wants to take her. She would at some point go off to freezer camp at our place, although I'd be willing to process her for you if you'd like to keep her around and feed her for a few more months.

You should know that BBW get HUGE. This will not be a turkey that you can just keep around as a lawn ornament in our climate. It would be inhumane to put a turkey her size, once she's all grown up, through our summer heat. She won't do well, and they can't even breed naturally because of their size. This is the turkey equivalent of the Cornish cross chicken.
  • Hi Natalie, if no one steps up, my neighbor or I can give her a home with our chickens. I've fostered a turkey at my house before, and the chickens were afraid of the turkey so didn't pick on her. I only had chicken food...I'm hoping that's OK. At any rate, I want to defer to someone out there who'd really like to take in this dude/lady, but if you cannot find a home, let me know at srdoyle@cox.net.
    • Hi Jane, Thanks so much for the offer. I'll give it a day or two and if no one else comes forward you'll be hearng from me! She is a "she" and very sweet (or dumb as the case may be). I think that's way the kids love her. All she has had to eat besides whatever she forages from the yard is chicken feed. I didn't know any better until recently and she seems fine so far. She absolutely has no idea she is not a chicken. I'll keep in touch. Thanks again for the offer. We would love to keep her, but we're in a HOA suburban neighborhood trying to fly under the radar if you know what I mean. I don't know much about turkey's, but I imagine she will get big. Too big to hide!
This reply was deleted.