Cross Beak EE Chick

One of my 2 week old EE chicks has developed a cross beak.  She is growing at the same rate as the others right now so I know she's eating and drinking.  I assume the best thing would be to cull her, correct?  I'm concerned that the beak will continue to curve and she'll have problems in the future.  I'm not that into having to trim the beak every few days and don't want to have to hand feed or provide special feed just for her.  Any advice?

It seems that by writing this out I've kind of answered my own question.  I've never had to cull before and don't look forward to that either.  I assume I would just use the rake method for that.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One of my four month old Americanas has a very slight cross beak, which has improved slightly over time, and she is as healthy as the rest of my pullets.
    • Thanks to both of you.  It's good to know that she might be fine.  I'll watch her as she grows and make sure she doesn't suffer any. 

(Hijacking my own thread)  By the way, Jean, the Mesa main library has 2 copies of "The $64 Tomato".  They are upstairs in the non-fiction section.

• Thank you! I'll check it out Monday!
  • It depends on how bad the cross beak gets. Some birds do okay with crossbeak because it doesn't always get extreme. I would say that culling may not be necessary, if it were my bird, I would wait to cull until there were some obvious signs that she was suffering.
  • Erin,
    Just want to say it would probably be stressful for both you and your chick if you had to trim often.
This reply was deleted.