Cracking Eggs

I am finally getting eggs from 2 of my 6! However lately, Sophia has pushed out so much filler from her nesting box that when she "plops" out the egg it has a small crack on the tip from hitting the bottom of the box, which is wood. I have added a ton of filler and no eggs yet today to test it, but any advice here?

Thanks - Misty.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Chris, This is great! Can I get the dimensions? I think I would like to build this on to our coop when I can. Thank you!
  • When this happened with my hens, I added a lip around the nest & put old carpeting on top of the wood floor and under the nesting material (green yard clippings, shredded paper, wood shavings... whatever I have around). Since then, no more cracks.
  • I don't know your situation, but I use dog/cat beds. I buy them at Ross for $5.99 or less, ( I buy the smaller ones) the type that have raised sides. They are soft, plush and cozy. I have 3 of them, the chickens take turns going in. A girl will go in, settle down, lay her egg and after a few minutes hop out and another one hops in. Because the sides are raised the eggs don't fall out and because everything is soft they don't get hurt or scrape themselves going in and out. When I get a new bed I usually put in a "dummy" egg that I mark with an X to get them started on using the new bed.
    • Do you have any pics of your nesting tunnel? I'd love to see it. Could you expound on the lower stress point you made (I'm slow to learn)? Thanks
  • Mine does this too. I lined the nest box with cardboard under the pine shavings. It makes a much softer landing.
    I just change it when it gets dirty.
  • One of my chickens does the same thing. I am constantly refluffing the filler to prevent this. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
This reply was deleted.