Coop design - weather considerations

We've almost finished building our very first chicken coop, but we're stuck at the very last phase because we can't decide if we should enclose their roosting area. We've put a wall (just plywood) behind their roosting pole and the roof is angled and shingled, but I'm worried that leaving the front and side open (or enclosing only with mesh fencing) will be too drafty for them in the winter. On the other hand, I don't want them to suffocate from heat in the summer. 

I know our winters are pretty mild, especially for chickens, but I'm worried about rain when it's windy out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!!

Ruth

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you so much to everyone for responding!!

We're going to keep it open and work out how to provide them with some form of portable, temporary shelter if and when they need it.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

• Ruth, as Susan said, the heat is the worst enemy, so provide lots of shade in the summer. In the summer they also benefit from a breeze, hence the value of open coops. If the coop is too closed in, they can get heat stroke in the summer. You really never have to worry about cold here in AZ for chickens.

In addition to the heat, consider the winds. We only have two solid walls on our coop, one on the south and one on the east. Ours is on wheels so we can move it when needed, so we always aim a solid wall toward the wind, depending on the time of the year.

In the summer the haboobs come from the south and in the winter the winds come from the west. So you should have solid protection on both those sides. The western wall also protects from the afternoon sun. In addition, if you can't adjust your coop, you might consider about a foot or so of solid wall on the east, connected to the south wall, and on the north, connected to the west wall. That will divert the heavy winds from the interior, but be sure it doesn't block a nice summer breeze. Other than that, you can keep it open.

Better to err on the side of wire than wood because you can always nail up wood over the wire later.

• My roost is enclosed, but is well ventilated near the ceiling, and it is in the shade of a large tree.  Each side has a hinged wall that is the same size as a box fan.  In the summer I open one side and put a box fan blowing in, on high, all summer long.  Some people use misters, but I like to keep things dry because it is easier to clean.  In the hot months, I make sure the chickens have clean water to wade in out in the yard, and I check/change their water at least twice daily in the summertime.

Good ventilation, shade, and clean water are key to getting your birds through the summer months.

Hope that helps.

Z

• Here's our coop and our grow-out coop.  They are both open on one side and our chickens have survived the winters just fine.

Just make sure they have shade and a wading pan in the summer!

DSC_0153.JPG

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/5021657482?profile=original
    • Hi Becky-

Great coop!

I noticed in your coop photo, that your waterer is elevated. Does everybody do that or is that just how your birds like it? I am getting my coop together (no birds yet).

(Im a newbie...)....so any details on elevated water, worming, powdering, feeding, etc....is appreciated!!

• Thanks.  We wanted to be able to move it if we wanted to.  It's not a tractor, it would be a small project to move, but it isn't permanent either.

Elevating the water keeps it cleaner and they seem to prefer it anyway. 

I use to use a nipple waterer and would like to get back to that because it's much cleaner, but when the girls free-range and drink from other sources they get used to that and prefer it.  They have forgotten how to use the nipple waterer so I have to make sure they can do it again before I switch back.

I would also like to try a treadle feeder to keep the wild birds out.  I just got one but I haven't had the time yet to train them.

As far as worming goes, I haven't wormed mine yet and would like to never do it.  I've had chickens for 3 years now.  As long as they stay healthy and keep laying eggs, I'm going to leave them be.  I use a lot of DE, though.

Another good source for information is the BackYardChickens.com website. 

If you check out the forum there look for the Arizona thread in "Where are you, where am I?"

• You do have a nice coop setup, Becky!

We use the nipple feeders, in fact my husband makes them & sells them. They're fantastic, but you're right, when they free-range they drink from whatever sources they find.

Kathryn, the raised waterer is much cleaner than sitting it on the ground. The nipple waterers are even cleaner yet, and keep maintenance low. Chickens are very, very messy with water. The nipple waterers eliminate the mess, the need to change water frequently, and they don't grow algae like other waterers do.

• Thank you for that info!! (I love Backyardchickens!!)

• Definately don't worry about draft or cold! It's the heat that kills em' here in Phoenix. If you do leave it open and it is in direct sun in the summer you will need to shade it somehow.

Susan

This reply was deleted.