coop ventilation

can I please get some input on a coop design, I am wondering about ventilation. the area is 5' block walls on three sides and open to the west, there is a large native mesquite directly in front of this opening to shade the west.my plan is hardware cloth at least a foot to 18" above the block and the west side open with hardware cloth. I want to use greenhouse type roofing-polycarbonate I believe, but am open to suggestions.My concern is that the block will hold too much heat in the summer. I am curious if anyone has a coop with block walls or experience with this layoutcheers, Stacy

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How big will the coop be, Stacy? Our biggest enemy (aside from predators) is heat, so you're very wise to be concerned about ventilation before you build your coop! The opening above the wall is essential to allow heat to escape and allow air in. A fan would be a really good idea to move the air. It would be ideal if you can aim it up toward the openings, or use a ceiling fan that pulls the hot air up. You want a roof to protect from rain and sun, so a greenhouse roof might let hot sunlight in, which could be counterproductive. If you choose to use that to allow sunlight in and for winter warmth, you can cover it with a heavy shadecloth in the summer.

The other things you want to protect your birds from are the monsoon winds/rain in the late summer and the spring storms from the west. You have protection from the southern monsoon, but it sounds like you're open to the western storms. Depending on the yard configuration & how far the roost is from the open end, you may want to consider something for added protection during those times. Have you ever just stood in that area of the yard during storms to see what the wind does?

• I have a coop/run that that has block walls on the west and north side.  It's hardware cloth on the top, east and south sides. The top is about 80% covered in summer with a Queen's Wreath vine and the west wall is shaded throughout the day by Eucalyptus trees.  The girls have a small coop inside where they can get out of the rain.  I used a misters when temps got really hot, but it never got over 100 in the coop.  If there's a way to keep your top largely open, I think that would help your air flow since there's block wall on three sides.

• Stacy, I had my run in a small courtyard (8x8) with block walls and had a problem with gray fuzzy mold whenever moisture accumulated from rain, misters, or water spills. It even got near their food once. My understanding is that if chickens inhale or ingest those spores, they can get a deadly fungal infection

Also, keep in mind how brutal our summers are for the chickens. A large fan and misters would help as moving air is cooler than still air. Deep shade is also important, such as the type provided by a lush tree. The greenhouse roofing may keep the heat in, depending on circumstances.

Good luck. You may want to attend tho year's Tour de Coops for more ideas.
  • My coop is in a similar area.  Thankfully, one of the three walls is my house, so it provides shade.  My coop is all wood and mesh.  The top is shade screen.  I haven't had any problems, thankfully.  I do turn a fan and misters on for extreme heat days.  I'm trying to grow a living roof to help with heating and cooling.  good luck!

This reply was deleted.