chicks need homes

i have etxtra chicks! different breeds, all layers. i got a mixed group of rainbow layers from mcmurray hatchery, hatched on 9-16. so they are hens but i am not sure of the breeds.I have more than i need. if you a nervous about tiny chicks i can hold them for you until they are a little older.give me a shout if you are interested. i'd like to rehome maybe a dozen. but they can go in as few as twos. i jsut don't want any to be housed alone. they've been vaccinated for marek's but that is it, no antibiotics, natural feed etc.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm looking for two chickens, call me if available. 480 295 6504 Ren
    • hi all thanks for all the great responses. we have rehomed everyone who needs one. thanks again.
  • Hey everyone i hadn't heard back from a few of you. maybe didn't want vaccinated chicks after all? anywho, i rehomed 6 so have 6 more up for grabs. thanks everyone
    • I'm sorry about not replying and it appears that I listed my email address incorrectly. I wasn't following this discussion until today. I am fine with the Mareks Vac. so if you still have any available please contact me. Thanks Again, Cathy catbrunson@msn.com
  • While this is a very kind offer, I would like to caution those of you that want to add these to your flock that they have been vaccinated for Marek's and the birds you already own have probably not been. (Unless you specifically requested it from the hatchery). Depending on the type of vaccine given, the new birds will likely be carriers of Mareks and your older birds may or may not have immunity. This could introduce Marek's to your existing flock and have some sad results.
    • maybe maybe not. the reason i had them vaccinated was because the kid i asked at pratt's said their birds came vaccinated. since that is where my last chicks came from i decided to do the same. now pratt's has told me other stuff that ended up not being true in the past.

i also don't think there is any greater risk of contracting marek's from a vaccinated bird. i believe risk of marek's is quite high in both vaccinated and unvaccinated birds and that the vaccine can prevent lesions if the disease is contracted but not the spread of the disease. so i could see someone thinking that a chicken with marek's might not get sick but might pass it on to another chicken. that is true of unvaccinated birds as well though. also the vaccine for is made from the turkey virus.

anyway full disclosure and all i just wanted any interested parties to know as much details on the birds as i do.
    • Thank you so much for being upfront about this so people can make informed decisions. I am pretty sure the kid at Pratt's was mistaken, the teenagers that work there seem to not be very educated about the animals they carry, it's probably best to try and talk to the people that do the buying. I've asked them before and they've told me they are unvaccinated. Also, financially it doesn't make sense for the feed stores to vaccinate. They have the birds for such a short time, they don't have much incentive to add 25 or 50 cents per bird to their cost. However I just spoke with someone at Privett (the hatchery where a lot of the Phx area stores buy chicks, including Pratt's) and she couldn't tell me specifically, but she said every once in awhile a feed store will buy vaccinated. So, it is a possibility.

It is my understanding that If the Marek's vaccine used was a live virus, the birds will always carry it and introduce it to your flock environment and any future birds you get should be vaccinated. I don't know if the fact that it's the turkey virus means that it's just an attenuated strain of "regular" Marek's or if it's a different strain altogether but similar enough to cause a reaction that creates immunity without being a virus that can infect chickens. I have read so much contradictory information about it. The consensus seems to be that despite whether or not Marek's is prevalent, introducing a vaccinated carrier animal would up your risk on all other birds that had not been exposed. Have you had any issues with Marek's in the past?

I don't want anyone to think I am attacking you and I don't want to scare people away from chickens. I just want to be sure that people who are new to them and may not have any information about this understand any possible risks that might not have occurred to them. Thanks again for posting thorough information. If you post a picture of the chicks you have, I (and others on here) can probably help you identify the breeds if you are interested.
      http://possibility.It/
    • oh no it is so hard to hear tones of voice right? i don't feel like you are on my case. i too have heard a lot of different stuff. i haven't had any health issues with my chickens. just i wasn't sure if i should add it on when ordering or not. so decided to go with whatever had happened to my existing girls. i guess wether or not the info was correct is in question though. i actually wanted to order the birds myself so that i wouldn't go through a feed store again as they didn't seem very educated on their animals. thanks for the added info. from what i've read the turkey strain is supposed to protect the chicks without actually causing the infection. also conversation like this is the whole point of the site right? thanks everybody
  • I would like to have your remaining 2 if you are rehoming a dozen. I have all the facilities to raise em up right! Call or email at 480-513-0713 or email at fosterhomeschool@msn.com. We can get them right away:) And I would like to pay for them. Lots of thanks!
    Susan
  • This reply was deleted.
    • let me know jan it is no problem for me to hold onto a few until they are older/wiser/larger. i have always wanted to get khaki campbells! you are a temptress. i am not set up for ducks right now though. i would worry about the hens abusing them. so let me know.
This reply was deleted.