Best Dairy Goat for Valley

Any suggestions for which breed of dairy goat would do best in the valley?  I like the Saanen and Toggenburg, but those are alpine breeds and I worry about their hardiness and ability to make it through a Phoenix summer.  The nubian is from the middle-east/africa and it seems like they might do better.  Anyone have any experience?  Am I overthinking this?

Also, if there is anyone in the Phoenix area who wouldn't mind helping us out a little, I would like the experience of milking a goat.  You can only get so much through youtube. :)  I would like my children to observe this or participate as well to see if we have what it takes before investing too much time or money in getting my backyard set up for goats.

One last question-am I looking at having a stinky backyard if I get goats?  I've read the bucks are far worse than the does, but can I kiss any backyard parties goodbye after the smell moves in?

Thank you in advance.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You are welcome, Julie.  The straw and 'berries' can be composted for use elsewhere in your landscape so it not necessarily something to have to get rid of.
  • I have Mini Nubians which are a cross of Nubians and Nigerians. Great fat content in the milk for cheese  and while not truly a "miniature" goat they're about 30% smaller than a full size Nubian and give quite a bit more milk than Nigerians while still consuming a smaller amount of feed than a standard goat. Does do not smell, my dog smells worse than my goats and she gets a bath every other week :) Bucks all stink during rut(usually worse in the Fall)  but as Bethany pointed out can be bathed (I'm trying the eZall bather this year, we'll see how it goes). Some bucks are much stinkier than others and are also usually worse if there is more than one buck. Some goat owners offer stud service if your goats test negative for CAE & CL, so I would check the availabilty of stud service in your area before you decide on a breed. You might not even have to own a buck if someone is close enough and willing to offer stud service.  If noise is a concern you might want to steer clear of Nubians. My girls are only half Nubian but I swear you can hear them a mile away when they want your attention. When I weaned them I was always expecting an angry neighborhood mob to march up the street and knock down my door. I am always so amazed when I'm at my friend's homes who have Nigerians....it's so quiet! My chickens make more noise than a Nigerian :) You have a good point about going with a breed that is made for the desert, the heat doesn't phase my goats a bit. They stay quiet and lay in the shade during the day but are much livelier in the morning and after the sun goes down.  Goats are very entertaining :) I have both bottle and dam raised goats and both are more loyal and affectionate than any of our other pets.
  • We have Nubians...I didn't want to waste time with the Nigerian Dwarfs (sorry Nigi lovers).  Gilbert's rules are such that each goat must have 5000 sq. ft. so it didn't make sense for me to go with an animal with significantly lower milk production per individual.  If I were you, I'd go with Nubians or Lamanchas.  I only have 2 does in milk right now, and I have more milk than my family of 5 can consume in fresh milk to drink, yogurt, cheese, and frozen milk for the freezer to get us through the dry months.  Of course, full size dairy goats are large animals...and the bucks can hit 250 lbs. and up.  So, if that is a concern for you...then stick with the smaller goats. 

Also, I keep bucks in my backyard/designated animal area that is approximately .5 acres.  I have neighbors that live very close by.  The one is starting to smell bucky so he will be getting a bath.  Yes, I said a bath.  I know of people that bath their bucks every 1-2 weeks during rut to keep the smell from taking over.  Most dairy goat people I know keep theirs on a dry lot.  Here, the boys and the girls have their own smaller penned in area with shelter, but they take turns with access to the bermuda grass pasture.  Keep the dry lot area raked out at least once a week and you won't have smell.  Also, I recommend maintaining a good rapport with your neighbors.  Goats can be noisy especially when the girls have decided it's milking time.  If your neighbors like you, and have been assured that you will fix any problem (i.e., smell) then you will have a much better time keeping goats. 

• I have Nigerian Dwarf goats and they are also from Africa and love the dry heat we have...they hate getting wet and so far produce more milk than I can drink...I have 3 does...2 of which are in milk right now.  Feel free to check out our setup and as far as smell goes...I really don't have any at all.  I am located in Central Phoenix off of 7th st and Portland.

shoot me an email

Dave

dhamiltonsigep@gmail.com

This reply was deleted.